Chain signals into a station

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
sfxdude
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Chain signals into a station

Post by sfxdude »

I'm sure this is probably the intended behavior (or is it?!) but I think chain signals are acting a bit...odd. If there are multiple trains waiting for a 'platform' at a station with more than one stop, they seem to decide on which platform they are going to before they reach the chain signals before the station. It's probably best illustrated with this picture:
ss.png
ss.png (4.73 MiB) Viewed 25490 times
As you can see, there's a vacant platform at the station (both stops have the same name) but the three trains waiting have already selected the upper platform and so aren't moving.

Is there any way to avoid this kind of situation whilst still avoiding any situation which might induce a deadlock?

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Chain signals into a station

Post by Kewlhotrod »

replace the chain signals with regular signals, only use chain signals at a track intersection

sfxdude
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sfxdude »

Kewlhotrod wrote:replace the chain signals with regular signals, only use chain signals at a track intersection
I'm not really sure that would work. Making the centre section one block would just cause a train to block the entire intersection. If a train left from the other platform first then nothing would be able to move into that platform.

I played about a bit with the 'show train stop point' debug feature. It seems the trains do do some sort of analysing of free platforms / which train is likely to leave first. Putting a chain signal in the very middle bit and block signals at the exit to the waiting bays seemed to help a bit, but still occasionally something like this happenes:
ss1.png
ss1.png (4.67 MiB) Viewed 25465 times
This never actually happened for a very long period of time; this train did actually move into the free platform a few seconds after this. I'm guessing it has to do with the frequency that trains recalculate their route. Seems to happen about 5 seconds after a train has departed from a station.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

they'll repath if they are stopped at a chain signal and there is another rout open

Kalanndok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kalanndok »

ratchetfreak wrote:they'll repath if they are stopped at a chain signal and there is another rout open
Assuming your theory is right and looking at the threadstarters screenshots:
Why don't the trains stopped at the chain signals repath into the other free station?

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

ratchetfreak wrote:they'll repath if they are stopped at a chain signal and there is another rout open
No, they don't. Well, maybe after a long time, but normally they just wait, as shown here.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Maybe it's a bug?! Several patches has been made to the repath algorithms. Maybe you can provide the save so other can look?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Linosaurus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Linosaurus »

sfxdude wrote:I'm guessing it has to do with the frequency that trains recalculate their route. Seems to happen about 5 seconds after a train has departed from a station.
IIRC they *never* recalculate which exact station they are going to, it is decided when they leave the previous station. Even if a free station has the same name.

I cannot find the source now but I read an idea where you had a temporary station just before the real unloading stations, where all the ore trains would stop for 0 seconds. Then when they path the tiny distance to the real unloading stations they'll select the free one, assuming they are equally distant from the temp station.

Cbrad24
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cbrad24 »

Linosaurus wrote:IIRC they *never* recalculate which exact station they are going to, it is decided when they leave the previous station. Even if a free station has the same name.
This is what I thought. After reading this thread you were luring me into false hope that assigning two stations in the schedule would somehow select the empty one. Maybe it does, I've always just assumed they went to stations by order of the schedule.

Something .13 might fix if we get enough control using the circuit network.

nobodx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nobodx »

I solved this behavior by adding a entry-station in front of my main station, where trains wait for 0 seconds.
The result is, that trains move to the entry station, stop there and look for a new route from there.

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

nobodx wrote:I solved this behavior by adding a entry-station in front of my main station, where trains wait for 0 seconds.
The result is, that trains move to the entry station, stop there and look for a new route from there.
Smart idea! :)

nobodx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nobodx »

I wished we had waypoint-stations, so we can force trains to use a specific route (like in TTD)

Return to “Gameplay Help”