How to best transport stone?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

How to best transport stone?

Post by Peter34 »

It's beginning to annoy me that Stone is always found in these tiny patches, usually only enough for 1 or 2 mines, rarely 4, whereas Coal/Iron/Copper is found in large patches.

The problem is the huge need for Belts to move the Stone from all these patches to a central Stone-handling area, where it can be further processed into Brick, or into other things that require Stone, e.g. mods such as Landfil. Belts all over the place.

In the MP game I was recently in, which is basically over because we achieved a position of being on top of everything and so it's no longer really interesting, we ended up using Logistics Robots to move the Stone, because it was so annoying. But even with good research, that's only 5 (and realistically often 4) Stone per Robot, and they don't move very fast. That means that most of the Logistics system ends up hauling Stone, instead of other perhaps more important things.

Am I missing something? Have I overlooked a solution? The Landfill mod does require a lot of Stone (20 Stone per 1 Landfull unit), so that eats up a lot, but even beyond that, Stone comes in these annoyingly small patches that makes belting cumbersome. Even before I started using the Landfill mod, the Stone issue bothered me.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: How to best transport stone?

Post by ratchetfreak »

trains, bots?

boro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by boro »

For remote small patches you can always just mine them into a chest and go pick it up when they're depleted. Sometimes doing things manually takes less effort than automating them.

PROTOS
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PROTOS »

belts,bots inserter

RoddyVR
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RoddyVR »

boro wrote:For remote small patches you can always just mine them into a chest and go pick it up when they're depleted. Sometimes doing things manually takes less effort than automating them.
This. if you have a lot of these patches, and you really want to mind away all of them, i would suggest a self building blue prin that mines the whole thing into chests (or even strait into a car that you can come drive away later).
t
self building blue print
Or just ignore the smaller patches and go further out from your base and find a gigantic stone patch that is worth setting up a train stop for.
Though i'm not really sure that the base game scales patches as you go further out.

Return to “Gameplay Help”