I'm failing to expand the circuits.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

I'm failing to expand the circuits.

Post by oLaudix »

My current setup looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/5g9bL7S.jpg. As you can see i tried to increase the speed production with yellow machines but the problem is its getting copper starved very quickly. Same thing if I add another set of blue machines to the left. Im just starting to get into red and blue circuits and it eats this setup on the fly ... It got slightly backed up now cuz i stopped red circuits and solar panels production. My question is: How do i create vast network of green circuits production that can be properly stocked with copper? I also experimented with modules but they didnt help much.

PS. The belt betweend splitters on the right bottow corner isnt there so 50% of copper goes to the circuits, I just didnt pick up the copper.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: I'm failing to expand the circuits.

Post by DerivePi »

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =8&t=12588

The design at this thread eats through a full 1 1/2 Express Belt's worth of copper plate (45 copper plates per second) and produces a full express belt of circuits (30 circuits per second). If you read the thread, there are some corrections that are shown.

As for copper plate production, this is an example of my ore delivery, furnace and storage setup for a capacity of 4 full express belts of smelting. In this picture, its iron, but it works at my copper station just as well
-
furnace.jpg
furnace.jpg (532.05 KiB) Viewed 9713 times

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

All the info DerivePi gave is good! So not lot more to say. But I will point out that probably a lot of the problem is having so many copper cable machines in a row pulling off the same line. Not in the thread that DerivePi posted that there are only 3 sets of the whole thing on each side. Whereas the one you are using has 5 sets of the setup all in a row grabbing from the same belt. That is just too many in a row for the amount of copper needed and how quickly it is needed.

Having 3 sets on each side almost mirrored as shown in the other thread is probably the better way to go. :)
Image Image Image

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

Ill have to go with 3 then, but it make me wonder how can ppl produce green circuit in the hundreds. If i put another 3 further then line and then another itll eventually get starved again :/ Gonna have to experiment with logistic bots.

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

I don't know what's to the right of your copper line, but you could place another set of factories there as well, doubling your production.

Or add a section to your factory that has dedicated raw material inputs for building circuits. If each copper belt can support 3 modules, then 10 copper belts can feed 30 modules. I personally find that raw materials are my bottleneck.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

oLaudix wrote:Ill have to go with 3 then, but it make me wonder how can ppl produce green circuit in the hundreds. If i put another 3 further then line and then another itll eventually get starved again :/

This is easy to understand if you think "back", what is needed back in line, when you are using that much.

12 (you have ten, but I use twelve, cause it is easier to calculate) tier-3-assembling machines for circuits needs 18 assembling machines for copper wire.

Both needs a full loaded express of iron plates and 1.5 full loaded express belts of copper.

To load that belts with enough iron and copper you need
- about 79 furnaces (electric or steel) for copper plates
- about 53 furnaces for iron plates

And to load that with enough copper and iron ore you need a lot of miners. :)

These is astonishing for beginner players. Use the tools ( https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=69 ) to learn more about this.
Gonna have to experiment with logistic bots.
This is the same problem in blue: For transporting that many items with full accelerated bots you need to think about how many items per second needs to be transported from where to where:
- 50 items of copper-plates
- 30 items of iron-plates
- 30 items of electronic ciruits
- 50 items of copper-ore
- 30 items of iron-ore

That is a total of 190 items per second, that needs to be transported. We can divide by 5 (which is the maximum stack for the bots), which leaved 38 transports per second.

I assume now, that the average distance between the chests is only 100 tiles. Then the bots need to transport a distance of 3800 tiles per second.

One bot moves 4.2 tiles/sec (https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... ghput_side).

Then you need 905 bots.

Assuming you want to create that many bots, you need https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... stic_robot as resources per bot, which is 13123 copper, 6335 iron, and a big production facility for advanced circuits and robot frames (which also costs a lot of resources), and not including the costs for researching the full equipped bots.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

Thank you for the explanation. I am just now getting to the "big production of iron and copper". First i have to figure out how to get ore to the furnaces since im trying to do 96 electric furnaces without belts. Either 2 full red belts of iron ore is not enough or im doing smth wrong (I suck at joining 2 belts together) ... Going double blue belt seems ... expensive right now. I think ill need to start a new game since i didnt leave myself enough room. I thought i had but apparently 5 oil refineries is not enough for all those batteries, plastic and blue circuits (Like 30 plastics per second is 30 chemical plants? Unless modules but still...). Also i read somewhere that 50 bots per Roboport is optimal but that makes shitton of roboports :o I have 8 roboports per 1 set of electric furnances with 50 bots in each port and i cant get them all to function due to lack of ore.

PS: This game is awesome :D Complicated (for me) but awesome. Like when i went into yellow machines with 4 speed modules for electric circuits and i couldnt get them out fast enough.

PS2: Is transporting stuff like this good idea? http://i.imgur.com/5dR7dza.png I like i dont have to put belts everywhere but it occupies a lot of logistic robots :/

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Parallelization of belts or train is the keyword here.

Robot networks as shown in the linked picture is a good compromise. With red belts you need ten (!10) fast inserters (5 on each side) to flll and/or empty the belt. At the filling station you need one express belt to compress everything.

Use this setup for example:

Code: Select all

Mines --- belts ---> furnaces ---- belts ---> Passive Provider Chest ---- bots ----> Requester Chests  ---->
         --- crafting -----> Provider Chests ---- bots ---->  .....
This avoids, that the bots need to transport the long distances between mines and furnaces and brings the needed resources as near as possible to the assemblies, where you then can handle everything with bots.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

PROTOS
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PROTOS »

make more copper smelters then your demand

Nanobytez
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nanobytez »

All these people with these red maps and elaborate bases and I'm just sitting here with my single circuit assembling machine. :( He's my little engine that could!

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

Nanobytez wrote:All these people with these red maps and elaborate bases and I'm just sitting here with my single circuit assembling machine. :( He's my little engine that could!
Yeah, I once had a base that ran on 2 MW of power all the ways to rocket defense. I think the poor colonists will be in shock when they arrive and found the planet utterly not prepared for their arrival. And contrast that to my current base with 19 GJ of power stored in accumulators :) Most of the base's current production goes to solar panels, rails, and roboports, since I plan to use robots to build rails everywhere :)

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

oLaudix wrote:My current setup looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/5g9bL7S.jpg. As you can see i tried to increase the speed production with yellow machines but the problem is its getting copper starved very quickly. Same thing if I add another set of blue machines to the left. Im just starting to get into red and blue circuits and it eats this setup on the fly ... It got slightly backed up now cuz i stopped red circuits and solar panels production. My question is: How do i create vast network of green circuits production that can be properly stocked with copper? I also experimented with modules but they didnt help much.

PS. The belt betweend splitters on the right bottow corner isnt there so 50% of copper goes to the circuits, I just didnt pick up the copper.
Quick answer is just adding more copper belts (or faster belts) to feed your coil machines. So, instead of having one belt feeding all the machines, have one for every 4 of them, for example. Other people already did the maths, but I just add a new belt whenever the current one no longer backs up. Of course, you have to feed those belts, too.

Return to “Gameplay Help”