Has anyone done or got tips for a "no steam" play?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
fairysimile
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Has anyone done or got tips for a "no steam" play?

Post by fairysimile »

Hey all!

The goal: get to solar power with as little pollution as possible, and specifically, without a boiler. I can mine and make almost everything by hand, including science packs, but excluding iron and copper plates of course. I'm thinking of using just 3 mining machines (coal, iron, copper) and 2 furnaces to minimise pollution. I haven't worked out the full material requirements and time yet, just looking for tips.

For context: obviously many people play Factorio by building large well-defended bases. I increase biter evolution stats (to make it harder) and then attempt to leave them alone, building the base and remote bases while attempting to completely avoid triggering them. I have never needed laser turrets in this style of play for example, though I do use gun turrets without upgrades and the simplest ammo. Then I build a couple of oil refineries and launch the rocket eventually. It takes longer but it's not like the game has a timer and I enjoy this, but I want to ideally not build a boiler at all during my game.

Are there forum threads that relate to this? I can't seem to find any (tried searching for solar threads and "no steam" / "without steam" but nada). Where my eco players at?

Or if you've done it yourself, what tradeoffs (a little pollution for a large speedup) did you make?

edit: tips like this for example
edit 2: ah damn, I forgot something fairly basic - the research labs require electricity, so you'll need a boiler for the solar research. I guess the objective then becomes just minimising the use of steam, not eliminating it completely.
Last edited by fairysimile on Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Has anyone done or got tips for a "no steam" play?

Post by DaveMcW »

If you want to avoid all boilers, give yourself a single solar panel at the start to run your labs.

fairysimile
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by fairysimile »

You can give yourself an item at the start of a Freeplay session then? Thanks!

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

You can use a cheat to do it:

Code: Select all

/command game.player.insert{name="solar-panel", count=1}

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

It might help if you go for a more natural way of genering electricity, like harnessing the near infinite amount of Biter Power.
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

Stringweasel wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:09 pm
It might help if you go for a more natural way of genering electricity, like harnessing the near infinite amount of Biter Power.
That could be indeed a nice start...

Adding some traps and such to get a base electricity from biters to start....

I like this idea

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

There's also The Ruins Mod which will add, among other things, findable solar panels and accumulators. I like playing on map settings with resources really spread out (via RSO) and less enemies as a result, so I can wander around some from the starting area and find some of these goodies. :) I had one map where after exploring some area, I had a car, parts to make 2 more cars, starter boilers and steam engines, as well as almost two dozen solar panels and accumulators (and much, much more). :lol:
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

fairysimile
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by fairysimile »

Stringweasel wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:09 pm
Wow, that's creative. Thanks for pointing it out! And cheers to everyone else too for the input.

Return to “Gameplay Help”