Trains get stuck with "destination full" message

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Goha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Trains get stuck with "destination full" message

Post by Goha »

Hello,

I am playing very long game and have a lot of trains. I am using following scheme for trains: many unload stations with same name and train limit set to 1, and loading station with unique name, serving 1-5 trains, without train limit.

I have ~hundred of trains they all work just perfect. I am leaving game to run overnight and was no issue at all.... until recently.

Issue happens only with Oil trains (6 oil trains total). I have game save were you can clearly see that train (full of oil) is going to unload station, then saddenly stops in the middle of no were, not even close to any crossings, and show yellow exclamation sign and message "Destination Full".

To see this situation, please use attached save file, load it and open trains and navigate to all trans which have station "Oil Unload". Keep watching bottom right train, which is heading straight up, and about half minute (may be one minute) after saved moment it suddenly stops.

NOTE: if train was lucky just stop in the middle of free space and dont lock intersection - it may "revive" after a while and resume going. But sometimes it stuck at output crossing from destination station and then "alas" m this will be deadlock. You can also find this situation with oil trains on this save (when trains stuck, show "destination full", stay still for minutes but then start going to the same destination, or other destination with same name).

Goha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Trains get stuck with "destination full" message

Post by Goha »

Vanilla, latest version. Nixie tubes & Clocks are the only mods.

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Did you forget to attach the save?

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

A train stopping in the middle of nowhere with "destination full" can only happen if the station the train is driving to is deactivated, for example with the circuit network, and there are no other train stations with the same name with a free slot. Or if the station the train is driving to is no longer reachable by this train, for example because a rail was deconstructed or destroyed.
With deactivated it is not meant the train limit is set to 0 but instead active set to false. If the train starts again after a short time, a train on a different station left that station so a slot became free, or the deactivated station has been activated again.

Check your oil unloading stations if there is any circuit that will deactivate/activate that station. Change this, so the station is not activated/deactivated but instead its train limit is set to 1 or 0. This will make trains not stop, because trains with a destination will continue to drive to that destination, even if its train limit is lowered to 0.

Goha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Goha »

There are no circuit to deactivate station. My stations can only be deactivated if its content is "more then NN", but this can only happen when train is there and station is not acceptable anyway.

Nevertheless trains does stopping in the middle of nowere

Goha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Goha »

Attachments:
- the one I mentioned in first post
- second attachment is with deadlock. To resolve deadlock just change bugged train's destination to next station in its schedule.

Save size is 155MB, and forum don allows that much of bytes.
So, attachments will be avaialable on developer's request.

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

I don't see any attachments. Why not upload them somewhere so we can take a look?

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Train behavior changes when you use Train Stop Limits, compared to Enable/Disable.

NEVER combine the two for the same trains. It’s ok to use both in the same game, however, just not with the same trains.

Enable/Disable is best with one train and one loading (or unloading) station that is always on (and no Limit set), and a long number of unloading (or loading, if the always on is an unloading) stations of the same name that are turned on when the train is needed, and turned off when it is not.

Note that when ALl the stops of a given name in a train’s schedule are Disabled, that stop gets SKIPPED and the train moves on to the next stop on its list. This makes having one supply train able to deliver to a couple of stops possible by having the unloading station multiple times in the schedule.

Train Stop Limits are best suited for when you have multiple trains servicing multiple stops. Note that a train WILL continue to a stop it is en route to Eve if the Limit gets reduced to zero. The train will wait at its present stop if all the stations listed as its next stop have no room by the Limit, but once it’s moving it counts towards the Limit of its destination station.

The only way for such a train to be stopped in some random spot in the rail network, not at a station, is if the station it is headed to gets Disabled, and none of the other stops of that name that are Enabled have any room under the Limit. Trains withdrawn it room at any next station will sit waiting. That’s what happens here.

This is why you never combine the two on the same routes.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Goha wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:56 pm
There are no circuit to deactivate station. My stations can only be deactivated if its content is "more then NN", but this can only happen when train is there and station is not acceptable anyway.
Now, is there or is there not some circuit that will deactivate a station? A plain wire is a circuit, no combinators necessary.
It seems you actually have such a wire, and the station condition checks if the content is above some threshold, and if this condition is met, the station is activated or deactivated. You still didn't post a save, so we can only guess what actually happens. It might be this: the station has a latency of 1 tick. That means, if the condition is first met, it takes 1 ticks to propagate to the deactivation of the station. It takes 1 tick for the station to react to the condition.
If your train waiting condition is "train empty" and your circuit condition is met at the same time as the waiting condition, there is this 1 tick where the station is eligible for trains to get there. In this time, some train might get this station as destination. 1 tick later the station is deactivated, and the train will stop. Since trains are re-pathed continuously to free stations, this can happen out in the wild with a train that started out with some different destination in the first place.

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

Goha wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:56 pm
There are no circuit to deactivate station. My stations can only be deactivated if its content is "more then NN"
Then there is a circuit that deactivates the station; you just described a circuit that deactivates stations. I recommend replacing this with a circuit that sets the train limit to zero if the content is more than NN.

Goha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Goha »

There are absolutely no cirqucits on this station.
Boxes wired together and wire goes to station. Station enable/disable depend on box content amount. That is it.

tell me were to upload 350 mg files - I will

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Goha wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:19 am
[...] wire goes to station.
What do you think a circuit is?!

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Goha wrote:
Boxes wired together and wire goes to station. Station enable/disable depend on box content amount. That is it.
That is a circuit. You are creating a circuit network by connecting the station to the chests. It even says "circuit" in the wire descriptions. As I believe it was stated, the use of decider, arithmetic, and constant combinators are not required for it to be a circuit.
Goha wrote:
tell me were to upload 350 mg files - I will
There are a lot of choices out there. Dropbox, for example.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Goha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Goha »

removed
Last edited by Goha on Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Goha »

Content on the station containers can only increase when trains unload. When there are no train on the station, station can't get disabled because content of containers can only decrease over time. when it lower below threshold - station get enabled, train come and unload more.
In case of oil station - station containers protected with pumps. Pump wont allow backflow.

This is working on all other stations with all other content type. It used to work with oil on other map, and on this map.

Goha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Goha »

I guess I found it - two trains filling the same containers.... that is how container content increase when there are no train...

nevermind, my mistake

Return to “Gameplay Help”