20-25 biter nests right next to oil I need. Unsure how to deal with them.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
EngineerPerson
Inserter
Inserter

Re: 20-25 biter nests right next to oil I need. Unsure how to deal with them.

Post by EngineerPerson »

Update: found a patch that isn't in direct proximity with biter nests. Problem? There are at least 100 biter nests between it and my base. All around any way I could set up my rail sytem.
Edit: there is no way in hell this save goes anywhere if I don't figure out how to do some SERIOUS damage to biters. I went out and found uranium, and around that point, there were so many biter nests they formed a wall that blocked me from trekking further.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

When I did a map once where my first and only oil patch that was reachable was unfortunately heavily guarded, I ended up building an outpost near them that could accept a train for rearming so I didn't need to load the turrests manually, then I just "extruded" a line of turrets out from it towards the biters. This allowed the turrets to be densely packed and belt fed that was automatically resupplied. And mixing in some laser turrets (provided your electrical grid can handle it) would be good due to their longer range.

As for the question of keeping a mix of ammo: no. Red ammo is superior in every way and the only possible reason to not completely switch production is if you can't ramp it up high enough, fast enough.

And yeah, you should not go at this with the goal of killing everything on the one go. Even simply damaging a nest between runs faster than it can regen is progress.

Oh, and the car... provided there aren't too many trees and/or rocks (or you can clear them out), the idea is to use it to keep moving while shooting. Run laps around them or do drivebys, then fall back to or behind your defensive line when the heat starts getting to be too much.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

EngineerPerson
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EngineerPerson »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:01 pm
This allowed the turrets to be densely packed and belt fed that was automatically resupplied. And mixing in some laser turrets (provided your electrical grid can handle it) would be good due to their longer range.
Thank you. I don't know why, but all this time I never considered building an outpost there. I will try it and update on how it goes.
Edit: totally off topic, but I think the reason I've been trying to do it all at once is because I play alot of fast paced shooter kind of games, so it's hard coded in my brain to kill everything. Just thought I'd say that.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Oh, and you're good with mods (early laser turret mod :P). Give this mod a try and mix them with the regular turrets.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/LR_Turret
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

EngineerPerson
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EngineerPerson »

Turns out... mixing was not needed. A few laser turrets early destroyed the NESTS in a matter of seconds. It was this easy the whole time. (I know this will sound dumb, but I didn't realise when I got the mod lasers did that much more damage)

EngineerPerson
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EngineerPerson »

Exactly 69 turrets survived.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Congrats on the battle for the oil. :)

EngineerPerson
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EngineerPerson »

Thank you! The best part though? While I was freeing up the oil, my radars found a deposit for coal, copper, iron, AND stone very, very close to my factory!

EngineerPerson
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EngineerPerson »

Also, didn't even see that mod til now. Thanks! It looks pretty great.

Return to “Gameplay Help”