Possible issue on Switch version on Map Generation?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
ValorielTalonheart
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Possible issue on Switch version on Map Generation?

Post by ValorielTalonheart »

Heya, I’m a recent new player of Factorio on the PC and also got the Switch version just yesterday. Really have to say I’m quite an addicted fan now.

I noticed something really odd in the Switch version though, when starting up a new game and tweaking the resource values. On some of the map generations using the Preview feature on a new game, I was seeing some maps spawn where…

1: Uranium didn’t spawn at all
2: Oil didn’t spawn at all
3: Uranium AND Oil didn’t spawn at all

I made sure to see if the resources were checked on and they were as well. Some people in the Discord were saying that the preview doesn’t show the whole map and it’s possible they were entirely out of range. Is this true, or does the Switch version have a smaller map cut off in general? Could anyone clear this up for me?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Possible issue on Switch version on Map Generation?

Post by Loewchen »

There is not difference between map generation on Switch vs any other platform, there might be a smaller preview window but I doubt that. The preview window only shows you the area around your spawn location, the map itself is (almost) infinite unless you specifically set a size.

ValorielTalonheart
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ValorielTalonheart »

So then it’s quite possible I’ll have to ping out with some radars.

Sorry. I’m still very new and thought the Map Preview was literally the whole map. I was worried I was getting a potential new game startup with random soft locks. 😅

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

ValorielTalonheart wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:26 pm
I was worried I was getting a potential new game startup with random soft locks.
That is possible, but with default settings very unlikely. If you make sure you have oil in the preview you cannot get stuck, as uranium is not necessary to finish the game and mining it will only be possible later when you should not have issues expanding further out anyway.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

I guess there is no difference between the Switch and PC. You are just not yet familiar with the game. Nothing bad. Oil and uranium more near or more far is random.

In my first map, there was neither oil nor uranium ore visible. I had to explore around, and the first resources showed up after I mapped a considerable area around the starting area. I didn't think about the radar, instead I just ran around in bigger circles and uncovered more map chunks until some oil appeared. Well, it was actually my 2nd map, and I had disabled enemy bases, so I was able to just run around to uncover the map without being attacked. My real 1st map I abandoned soon, because I was overwhelmed/distracted by the enemies. I wanted to have my time learning the game mechanics and couldn't stand being distracted by something completely unproductive such as fighting the critters. (Meanwhile I accept the enemies as part of the game, but at the time they were just a nuisance and not fun. It's great how flexible you are at map generation)

Return to “Gameplay Help”