I don’t understand the reasoning behind Nuclear Power (a finite resource)

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: I don’t understand the reasoning behind Nuclear Power (a finite resource)

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

Khagan wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:45 am
mmmPI wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:07 am
It could of course be made better with circuit or belt magic so that the first centrifuge doesn't stockpile uranium 235 and let it be available for a second machine. Which is a nice challenge :)
A nice challenge with a remarkably simple solution discussed at length here :) .
Personally, I go with a straight up combinator controlled setup. It's count perfect and guarantees that every centrifuge grabs exactly the first 40 that pass by it. Blackout and low power proof.
kovarex a.jpg
kovarex a.jpg (706.03 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
The combinators by the centrifuge are a simple SR latch based around u-235 == 40 and u-235 == 0.

The outside blue inserter and pair of deciders are responsible for controlling the initial loading. They permanently shut down once the machine is loaded and can be removed if you like. Once the array is running, the belt you use to feed the initial u-235 load can also be completely removed as well. It will never be used again.

The design makes 21.876/min and is tileable in both axis, though the belt routing is a little weird. TBH, the odd snaking nature of the belts is a large portion of what I like about it. It's just something different. There is an upper limit to what a single interconnected array can make but I don't remember what it is. It's a pretty big number as far as u-235 goes though. More than I can use and I like to lob M.I.R.V.s around in the post game.
kovarex b.jpg
kovarex b.jpg (705.62 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
Looks pretty distinct on the map too.
kovarex c.jpg
kovarex c.jpg (66.35 KiB) Viewed 1070 times

As far as general routing goes, I just do a simple priority split on my u-235 line. Nothing too fancy. Priority 1 is reactor fuel. Priority 2 is kovarex if present and as noted in the design, this split gets removed once the array is running well enough for my liking. Priority 3 is train fuel. Priority 4 is nukes. Kovarex output gets merged back onto the u-235 line at the start and u-235 from ore processing gets priority so as to not jam the output there.

Edit - there was a small bug in the posted print. A disconnected wire. Fixed.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

ColonelSandersLite wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:50 am
mrvn wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:30 pm
One Covarex centrifuge with 2x productivity modules 3 surrounded by beacons produces an U-238 every ~8 seconds.
Well, there's 2 reasons that just ain't gonna hunt in my eyes.

A u-238 every 8 seconds is wholly insufficient for ammo production. That barely covers my average consumption and ammo demand is very surgy (surgish? surgilicious?). Demand spikes when you're on the offensive or when you're establishing new military outposts. Demand *really* spikes when you first build the stuff and you're trying to recycle all those red magazines into green mags and replace all the magazines on your perimiter. Also a pretty big spike when you get your hands on artillery and you're adding that to your perimeter. Both of those really big spikes happen before I even have beacons which leads me right into point 2.

I'm definitely not inclined to wait for beacons! I put up a running nuclear reactor while I'm still on blue science and I'm definitely not doing purple science before gold.

Gold has logistics, uranium ammo, portable fusion, power armor 2, military 4, a slew of damage upgrades and artillery.

The only thing I can think of that's gated behind purple that I may really want urgently is coal liquefaction in the event it's a very oil poor map. Beacons, blue belts, assembly 3s, and tier 3 mods are nice but just kinda endgame stuff.
Ups, I mend U235. You get tons and tons of U238 from the ore directly.
Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:27 pm
mrvn wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:39 pm
How many centrifuges do you have refining uranium? Maybe I just would need more to get enough light green uranium to even run the trains on it pre Covarex.
Not 100% sure how many I had when I fired up the first reactor but I quickly went to 56. Not so much to get u-235 quickly but in order to make a lot of bullets quickly.

That should work out to a u-235 every 30.6 seconds.
I thing going from 30 seconds down to 8 seconds won't be a bottleneck.

As for beacons needing science: Covarex needs 6000 purple science and beacons 300 (marathon). That's 5% more science for beacons, they will get done quickly even if you do them after covarex. Probably done by the time you set up the centrifuges and primed the process.
Last edited by mrvn on Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:47 am
Khagan wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:45 am
mmmPI wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:07 am
It could of course be made better with circuit or belt magic so that the first centrifuge doesn't stockpile uranium 235 and let it be available for a second machine. Which is a nice challenge :)
A nice challenge with a remarkably simple solution discussed at length here :) .
Personally, I go with a straight up combinator controlled setup. It's count perfect and guarantees that every centrifuge grabs exactly the first 40 that pass by it. Blackout and low power proof.
It clearly indicate that the limit in nuclear power is more of a theorical one i would say :lol:

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

mrvn wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:29 pm
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:50 am
mrvn wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:30 pm
One Covarex centrifuge with 2x productivity modules 3 surrounded by beacons produces an U-238 every ~8 seconds.
Well, there's 2 reasons that just ain't gonna hunt in my eyes.

snip
Ups, I mend U235. You get tons and tons of U238 from the ore directly.
Well, I mean, disregard that post then because I thought you where talking about u-238.

mrvn wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:29 pm
As for beacons needing science: Covarex needs 6000 purple science and beacons 300 (marathon). That's 5% more science for beacons, they will get done quickly even if you do them after covarex. Probably done by the time you set up the centrifuges and primed the process.
Well sure, but like I have been saying, I don't wait for kovarex *or* purple science to start nuclear power. I do it in blue science. And that's kinda my whole general point - that there's just no need to wait. Just go for it. Sooner is better. Sure, 20 or 50 centrifuges may well be overkill for your needs later but it's not like it's a huge deal to repurpose some of those centrifuges later when you just don't need them anymore. They aren't going to go bad.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

mrvn wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:42 pm
In a game with a normal recipe and research multiplier nuclear power also makes no sense before Covarex. The amount of ore you need to mine to get the rare uranium type is insane. Where are you going to store all the bad uranium?
Not true. You can run dual core plant without Kovarex easy. "Bad" uranium fits into ammo. You get most powerful ammo available. Insane amount, is it wrong ? :twisted:

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

gGeorg wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:46 pm
mrvn wrote:
In a game with a normal recipe and research multiplier nuclear power also makes no sense before Covarex. The amount of ore you need to mine to get the rare uranium type is insane. Where are you going to store all the bad uranium?
Not true. You can run dual core plant without Kovarex easy. "Bad" uranium fits into ammo. You get most powerful ammo available. Insane amount, is it wrong ? :twisted:
That was already covered. Please do read all the thread before answering older posts.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

mrvn wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:29 pm
gGeorg wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:46 pm
mrvn wrote:
That was already covered. Please do read all the thread before answering older posts.
What you mean is gGeorg is right, and you are also deny it on other thread.

Return to “Gameplay Help”