Icons for vehicles on map?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Kokelvogel
Inserter
Inserter

Icons for vehicles on map?

Post by Kokelvogel »

I'll be the first to admit that my parking habits are ... somewhat erratic. When I go out to explore I love to take the tank as it saves me the bother of having to chop through dense forrests. Every once in a while I will get out to explore on foot and THEN I have a very hard time finding the tank again.

Am I missing something? Should there be an icon that I can enable? Having searched the board I wonder if I am just as bad at finding information :P

I am aware that this could be avoided if I simply "picked up" the tank whenever I leave it. BUT as I tend to tow around loads and loads of things I think might come in handy, there isn't enough space for the fuel (of which I also have loads and loads inside the vehicle ... I HATE driving with less than half a tank contents).

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Icons for vehicles on map?

Post by sillyfly »

Vehicles appear on the map as a triangle (red with a blue border, if I recall correctly). It is hard to see in farther zooms, though, and I personally think it should be made a bit bigger...

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

One thing I'm missing is vehicle icon on minimap. Would make it easier to find that car you parked somewhere.. around (happens to often for me).
Would also help with certain train problems (aka walking around and train comes and.. ouch).

Kokelvogel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kokelvogel »

sillyfly wrote:Vehicles appear on the map as a triangle (red with a blue border, if I recall correctly). It is hard to see in farther zooms, though, and I personally think it should be made a bit bigger...
Thanks for answering what must seem a stupid question to you. But that icon disappeared once I was far enough away from the vehicle. Or else it was still there but too small in the vastness and I missed it. If it is a matter of the icon becoming smaller as you scroll out then I agree, it could be bigger ;)

Kokelvogel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kokelvogel »

orzelek wrote:One thing I'm missing is vehicle icon on minimap. Would make it easier to find that car you parked somewhere.. around (happens to often for me).
Would also help with certain train problems (aka walking around and train comes and.. ouch).
I'd second that :) But then the question is, how much info should go into the minimap before it is rendered useless by looking like a crazy quilt? To me, anything military and moveable would be the choice of preference.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Vehicles are onlz displayed in "observed" sectors - in the square around you, or in the squares of the locators.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Kokelvogel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kokelvogel »

Okay, thank you aka13. I hadn't come to the point where I thought I needed radar. I have so far played with the settings on no initial attack by aliens: Build a base, maybe go out and take out aliens sitting where I want to go, then build walls to keep them out. Rinse and repeat as needed.

Again, thanks everybody for their help. I know now what I need to do :) And yay, I completely overlooked this fact when reading about radars on the wiki (or I did not make the connection to my problem).

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

No prob) Radars are really handy if you have a larger base, to track train movement and vehicle locations.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

From https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... %26_Tricks

Tips & Tricks

Map Marker
Ever wanted to label different sectors of your base or your bases in general? You can with the Train stop. Just place a single piece of track and hook up a train stop to it. Then remove the track and rename the train stop to what ever you wish the marker to say. It'll show up in the minimap

you can put a "Train stop" next to you tank or some think to come back for.

Kokelvogel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kokelvogel »

Lee_newsum wrote:From https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... %26_Tricks

you can put a "Train stop" next to you tank or some think to come back for.
Great idea! I'll do just that (and stop littering the landscape with tanks ...). Now, to come up with good names: Red Slippers? Tomato-Wiper?

Return to “Gameplay Help”