Best oil for flame towers?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Pascali
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Best oil for flame towers?

Post by Pascali »

hi, which is the best oil to be used in flame towers?

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Best oil for flame towers?

Post by SoShootMe »

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Flamethrower Towers are deadly enough with Crude Oil, that I find it wasteful to use Light Oil on them. Go for it if you want to through.

Pascali
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pascali »

Isn´t heav oil more effective then light oil even if the damge would be same? Because you nee less crude oil for it?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

If you have heavy oil to spare...but you need lubricant, which is like similar prio.
light oil is more abundant, if you want to get rid of it, cracking is the other alternative. But with prio to rocket fuel

Crude oil is just safe and easy, because you don't have to process it.

Honestly, I think, damage multi should be like this, to have bigger advantage of processing
crude 50%
heavy 70%
light 100%

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

Pascali wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:13 am
Isn´t heav oil more effective then light oil even if the damge would be same? Because you nee less crude oil for it?
Crude oil + water makes more units of light oil from a unit of crude. i.e. assume water is endless cheap resource, then usage of light oil is not only more deadly, but also more efficient.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

gGeorg wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:46 pm
Pascali wrote:
Crude oil + water makes more units of light oil from a unit of crude. i.e. assume water is endless cheap resource, then usage of light oil is not only more deadly, but also more efficient.
In practice light oil is the most efficient, but in fact you can get at most 0.901875 light oil per crude oil, using 3x productivity module 3 for advanced oil processing and heavy oil cracking (but you also get 0.715 petroleum gas).

Crude oil initially has the advantage that you can use it before you research advanced oil processing, and longer term that it can continue being supplied even if you are not using oil for anything else.

Heavy oil is the only one I can't see a reason to use, as you will likely need the same amount of heavy oil cracking even if you use some for flamethrower turrets, and with 3x productivity module 3 for heavy oil cracking you get almost as much light oil out as heavy oil in (39/40), which is slightly more than made up for by the higher damage.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

astroshak wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:22 am
Flamethrower Towers are deadly enough with Crude Oil, that I find it wasteful to use Light Oil on them. Go for it if you want to through.
But you are missing out on petroleum and heavy oil that way. It's wasteful to run crude on them, since crude could be reprocessed into something more useful. :D
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

Pascali wrote:
Yes, heavy oil gives the best damage per real cost. The main downside is that it is produced in a (comparatively small) steady stream, but consumed in occasional tank loads whenever you construct a new line of flame turrets. On average there is plenty, but you do need to cache it to make sure there's enough when you want it.
aka13 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:59 am
astroshak wrote:
But you are missing out on petroleum and heavy oil that way. It's wasteful to run crude on them, since crude could be reprocessed into something more useful. :D
Indeed.
SoShootMe wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:11 pm
Heavy oil is the only one I can't see a reason to use, as you will likely need the same amount of heavy oil cracking even if you use some for flamethrower turrets, and with 3x productivity module 3 for heavy oil cracking you get almost as much light oil out as heavy oil in (39/40), which is slightly more than made up for by the higher damage.
Productivity 3 is overkill for oil cracking. The capital cost is way more than the value of the crude oil you save. (Remember, crude oil is an infinite resource.)

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Khagan wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:21 am
Productivity 3 is overkill for oil cracking. The capital cost is way more than the value of the crude oil you save.
On what basis (genuine question)? Level 3 modules are costly, but you don't need many for oil cracking, so both capital cost (resources) and "payback time" (when you start saving crude oil) are fairly modest as far as I can see.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

aka13 wrote:
astroshak wrote:
The question for me is, is it more wasteful to use a crude oil pipe for flamethrowers, which is needed anyway for transportation from the oil well (unless you have trains). Or is it to pump a lot of heavy/light oil into a seperate crazy long pipe, which needs a lot to be filled.
It might be better in the long run, but flamethrowers are consuming such a small amount of oil, that it takes really long to be profitable IMO.
SoShootMe wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:59 am
Khagan wrote:
Productivity 3 is overkill for oil cracking. The capital cost is way more than the value of the crude oil you save.
On what basis (genuine question)? Level 3 modules are costly, but you don't need many for oil cracking, so both capital cost (resources) and "payback time" (when you start saving crude oil) are fairly modest as far as I can see.
If you start to distribute modules in the factory, you always put them in places, where it matters the most. labs, science packs, green circuits, gears. At some point you might put them into cracking. But when is the point? Fairly late game i would say.
If you are at the point that late do you even care about oil savings in flamethrowers? Its probably better to build some spidertrons and clear the pollution cloud to save oil on flamethrower turrets. Its also better for UPS, which is the real enemy :)
BTW: I'm exaggerating a bit. I think, its a matter of personal preference and playstyle.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

aka13 wrote:
astroshak wrote:
My Crude Oil trains eventually have “three” stops on their schedule :
Oil Wells (loads the Crude onto the train) (Train Stop Limits apply),
Wall Defense (unloads Crude Oil for the Flamethrowers) (Train Stop turned off/on, very rarely turned on as it takes a LONG time to go through 200,000 Crude Oil)),
Refinery (where Crude is unloaded for processing) (always on, no Train Stop Limit).

Although it is possible, I cannot say I’ve ever had a situation doing this where both the Refinery and one of the Wall Defense stations needed oil at the same time.

Pascali
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pascali »

Khagan wrote:
Yes, heavy oil gives the best damage per real cost.
Isn´t it light oil? ->
SoShootMe wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:11 pm
In practice light oil is the most efficient, but in fact you can get at most 0.901875 light oil per crude oil, using 3x productivity module 3 for advanced oil processing and heavy oil cracking (but you also get 0.715 petroleum gas).
jodokus31 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:30 am
If you start to distribute modules in the factory, you always put them in places, where it matters the most. labs, science packs, green circuits, gears. At some point you might put them into cracking. But when is the point? Fairly late game i would say.
If you are at the point that late do you even care about oil savings in flamethrowers? Its probably better to build some spidertrons and clear the pollution cloud to save oil on flamethrower turrets. Its also better for UPS, which is the real enemy :)
BTW: I'm exaggerating a bit. I think, its a matter of personal preference and playstyle.
If you have overproduced modules. Which oil is most effective one? Light?

Oil amout is going down over the time, right? Is there a time, wehre you switch from effective-modules to speed-modules in the pump-jacks?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Pascali wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:49 am
jodokus31 wrote:
If you have overproduced modules. Which oil is most effective one? Light?

Oil amout is going down over the time, right? Is there a time, wehre you switch from effective-modules to speed-modules in the pump-jacks?
I would say, put modules in this order:
Advanced oil processing to get most out out the crude oil, light oil cracking, heavy oil cracking, lubricant.
Don't use basic oil processing, because its quite lossy.
Beacons help to decrease machines/modules and, quite important, UPS

effectivity modules in pump jacks are worth in deathworld settings to reduce pressure on the output. At some point, speed modules help to increase oil extraction, maybe even beacons. If you can defend cheaply enough, which is a matter of research level.
But also consider mining productivity research to increase oil yield. productivity modules in pump jacks are bad, because oil is infinite.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

jodokus31 wrote:

is it more wasteful to use a crude oil pipe for flamethrowers, which is needed anyway for transportation from the oil well (unless you have trains). Or is it to pump a lot of heavy/light oil into a seperate crazy long pipe, which needs a lot to be filled.
, but flamethrowers are consuming such a small amount of oil, that it takes really long to be profitable IMO.
You give yourself an answear without noticing it.
1. flamers consume small amount of oil, so it is wise to use a pump and tank to conntrol level of oil in the whole wall section. Based on my experience it is enough to set level of tank for 900 units which makes 4 units per pipe. This simple tool cut expense for transportantion.
2. Combine crude oil transport pipe with defence structure means, you created a single point of failure. Any designer of reliable systems avoid such setup.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

gGeorg wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:52 pm
jodokus31 wrote:

is it more wasteful to use a crude oil pipe for flamethrowers, which is needed anyway for transportation from the oil well (unless you have trains). Or is it to pump a lot of heavy/light oil into a seperate crazy long pipe, which needs a lot to be filled.
, but flamethrowers are consuming such a small amount of oil, that it takes really long to be profitable IMO.
You give yourself an answear without noticing it.
1. flamers consume small amount of oil, so it is wise to use a pump and tank to conntrol level of oil in the whole wall section. Based on my experience it is enough to set level of tank for 900 units which makes 4 units per pipe. This simple tool cut expense for transportantion.
2. Combine crude oil transport pipe with defence structure means, you created a single point of failure. Any designer of reliable systems avoid such setup.
To 1. That's smart. I wondered it myself how high the level has to be, but didn't test.
To 2. Flamethrowers operate quite long even if the source is disconnected. Compared to laser turrets it's a lot more secure. A second pipe sounds more secure and it is probably, but it comes at an expense, which might not be justified. And if you keep the level low and your light oil starves, you may have similar problems. I think, a transport pipe with flamethrowers can be lay out quite secure, f.e. if you don't connect the pipe through the turret, but on a short branch. And maybe as loop or some redundant connections.

crude oil has a lot of advantages and little disadvantages. I think the balance is off and processed oils should be more beneficial for the extra effort.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Screenshot 2022-02-21 214359.png
Screenshot 2022-02-21 214359.png (1.9 MiB) Viewed 8177 times
I have 3-chuck-sections with roboports and oil/parts-on-demand requester. Works perfectly.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Return to “Gameplay Help”