What am I doing wrong with train?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
yosraz
Inserter
Inserter

What am I doing wrong with train?

Post by yosraz »

Hello!

I just set up my first train and have big issuess. I have three stations: Islamabad, Karachi and Lahore.

In Karachi I want to load green and red circuits and unload at the Islamabad station. From there I want to load lubricant in barrels and blue circuits which I want to unload at the Lahore station on belts for further processing. Yes, you guessed right. It is the Chemical science MkII I want to produce :D

But it is not working as intended. It unloads as planned in Islamabad but not unloading at Lahore station. The train just stops. Everything is in place. Even filter inserters. But no luck.

I dont understand the "AND" and "OR" values.

Is it possible to just load a certain quantity istead of items? I need more green circuits than red but 200 get loaded everytime.

Help!
Attachments
cargo.png
cargo.png (1.43 MiB) Viewed 1916 times
train.png
train.png (852.88 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
The factory must grow...

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: What am I doing wrong with train?

Post by MEOWMI »

It's impossible to tell what's going on at the 3rd station without pics of it, though I don't see much at the station on the map view either. Also the train is in manual mode so it wouldn't even be driving automatically, if the screenshots show what actually is. If it was in automatic mode, there would be a progress bar showing how much of the cargo has been emptied or filled.

You can middle click - I think - on cargo slots in the cargo wagon to specify what item goes in that slot, useful if you want to control exact amounts of stacks.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

yosraz wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:10 pm
But it is not working as intended. It unloads as planned in Islamabad but not unloading at Lahore station. The train just stops. Everything is in place. Even filter inserters. But no luck.
I'm curious, you say it just stops, but where? Does it successfully navigate to Lahore station and stop at the station but then doesn't unload? Or is it stopping at Islamabad, does its unload/load, but then doesn't leave?
yosraz wrote:
The conditions you set are the conditions under which the train is allowed to leave the station. The AND/OR operators allow you to combine them. So in your case, you've set Islamabad such that the train will not leave unless it's cargo inventory is empty OR full. Note, too, that this is completely empty or full. If there's even 1 item difference from this, it won't ever leave. If you've designed this station to be an unload and loading station, then my advice would be to change the conditions to "Inactivity" OR "Full cargo inventory" (IE, replace the "Empty cargo inventory" condition with the "Inactivity" condition. So long as inserters are working pulling items out or loading items in (including fuel for the locomotives), this resets the inactivity timer).
yosraz wrote:
Is it possible to just load a certain quantity istead of items? I need more green circuits than red but 200 get loaded everytime.
As noted by MEOWMI, you can middle-mouse-click the item slots in the cargo wagon's inventory to set a filter for each slot. However, you'd need to do all of them, as any slots left without a filter can be used by anything. You could also potentially use the X button to mark some of the slots as unusable if you're never truly filling the whole wagon as well.

Otherwise, you'd need to use combinators to count what the inserters are loading into the wagon and disable them/change their filters once you hit the desired counts (and reset once the train leaves). It's a bit more complex, but allows a more fine grain control without having to use inventory filters and restrictions within the wagon itself.

Also note, that any of this would invalidate the "Full cargo inventory" condition if you're not actually filling every slot. IE, the wagon will never truly be completely full, thus will never be able to leave.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

yosraz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by yosraz »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:19 pm
yosraz wrote:
I'm curious, you say it just stops, but where? Does it successfully navigate to Lahore station and stop at the station but then doesn't unload? Or is it stopping at Islamabad, does its unload/load, but then doesn't leave?
yosraz wrote:
The conditions you set are the conditions under which the train is allowed to leave the station. The AND/OR operators allow you to combine them. So in your case, you've set Islamabad such that the train will not leave unless it's cargo inventory is empty OR full. Note, too, that this is completely empty or full. If there's even 1 item difference from this, it won't ever leave. If you've designed this station to be an unload and loading station, then my advice would be to change the conditions to "Inactivity" OR "Full cargo inventory" (IE, replace the "Empty cargo inventory" condition with the "Inactivity" condition. So long as inserters are working pulling items out or loading items in (including fuel for the locomotives), this resets the inactivity timer).
yosraz wrote:
As noted by MEOWMI, you can middle-mouse-click the item slots in the cargo wagon's inventory to set a filter for each slot. However, you'd need to do all of them, as any slots left without a filter can be used by anything. You could also potentially use the X button to mark some of the slots as unusable if you're never truly filling the whole wagon as well.

Otherwise, you'd need to use combinators to count what the inserters are loading into the wagon and disable them/change their filters once you hit the desired counts (and reset once the train leaves). It's a bit more complex, but allows a more fine grain control without having to use inventory filters and restrictions within the wagon itself.

Also note, that any of this would invalidate the "Full cargo inventory" condition if you're not actually filling every slot. IE, the wagon will never truly be completely full, thus will never be able to leave.
Thanks man! You answered my question 110%.
The factory must grow...

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Try to simplify your train setup while you progress with the game. The way you currently try to customize your first train is good for learning how trains work, but this approach will not work out for bases with more ore outposts and more smelters. Generally with more providers and more consumers. It becomes too tedious to manage all the individual schedules.

A common setup is to dedicate trains to one material only. And to name all stations that provide the same material the same, as well as all stations that consume the same material. This way every train that is dedicated to transport that material can get a very simple same schedule: 1.loading station material x: wait for full inventory, 2. unloading station material x: wait for empty inventory. From all same named stations, trains will pick the nearest not full station for loading or unloading.

For example name all your iron ore mining outposts "loading station iron ore" and all your stations for your smelting factories "unloading station iron ore". Setup as many trains as you have iron ore loading stations and create the same schedule for them: 1. loading station iron ore; 2. unloading station iron ore". To manage stations (enable/disable) use the circuit network to set train limits on the stations.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Enable/Disable is really only advisable when you have exactly one train supplying those stations, and that train has two stations in its route (loading and unloading). Disabled stations are skipped by the train. Bear in mind that you can only have one side (loading or unloading) as many stations; the other must be singular and always left on.

Setting the train stop limit is advisable whenever you have multiple trains working that two station route (loading and unloading). Note that the next stop on the list is not skipped; if all of that stop are full ( train limit reached on all of them; limit can be zero) then the train stays in place flying “destination full”. Both (loading and unloading) ends of the schedule can be many, neither needs to be an always enabled singular stop.

Return to “Gameplay Help”