Trains only run if condition is true

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Natha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Trains only run if condition is true

Post by Natha »

Hello there,

i want to build a railway network that trains only run to their target station if a condition is true (a chest at the target station has certain items and amount). Maybe that the train is connected to the logistic network and started/stopped automatically depending on the condition wheather its true oder false.
I want to avoid that some trains run senseless on the tracks and dont transport any items.

It can also be a mod.

Can someone help me?

-- Natha

Kazinski
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Trains only run if condition is true

Post by Kazinski »

in coming version 12.x we have recived new logic system including train logic
see FF 66 https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-66

Natha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Natha »

that sounds rly good, in 12.x is some content of a mod i like (smart circuit systems (https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=6272)) :) (i love logic circuits with conditions and all the convincing :D)
I couldnt find any release proposals, is there a time when expect the new version?

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

As implied by Kazinski, this isn't possible in the current version.
However, you can use the following workaround:

When your train enters the station, remove all its fuel with smart inserters. Have another smart inserter add fuel based on your condition (you may have to connect it to the remote chest with logic wires). The inserters for removing the fuel should have the inverse condition.
This way, you make sure the train is only fueled when the condition is true.
The problem here is with partial fuel: even if you remove all complete stacks of fuel, the train may still have half a quantum of coal to run. So this is hacky.

Return to “Gameplay Help”