Krastorio: construction bots will deconstruct but won't construct

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Gooftorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Krastorio: construction bots will deconstruct but won't construct

Post by Gooftorio »

So I've played vanilla and never had any trouble with the bots. But in Krastorio, my construction bots won't construct. They deconstruct just fine, but whenever I put down a ghost, I get the "entities are missing the material for construction" message. I've seen other posts by people having problems with Krastorio construction bots, but it seems like the problem is always simply that they're out of roboport range, or they don't really have the required materials in the network. But I know the material is in the network, and I know the ghost is in a nearby roboport's construction range, because I can put down an item then mark it for deconstruction and watch a construction robot come deconstruct it. Or I can just craft an item and put it into a storage/provider chest right next to the roboport. No joy. Construction drones work just fine, logistics bots work fine, just not the construction bots. Anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Krastorio: construction bots will deconstruct but won't construct

Post by Loewchen »

If you have a lot of construction jobs that cannot be performed because you are missing items, then it can take a long time for the game to find jobs that actually could be performed. Either provide items for all jobs or delete any that you don't have the items for.

Gooftorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gooftorio »

Thanks, but what I'm saying is that they won't construct anything at all, even when there's only one thing to construct. But they will deconstruct an item when I mark it for deconstruction. I get the same behavior when I use the personal roboport: they will deconstruct an item (and put it into my personal inventory, so I know it's available) but sit around doing nothing if I put a ghost of that same item back in the same place. Construction drones work perfectly, but it's like my construction bots are on a partial strike

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

How many ghosts do you have awaiting construction on the map?

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

Deconstruction is a separate queue with a different set of priorities, so yeah it could be all the construction orders are going somewhere else. If you have idle personal bots and items in your inventory available that shouldn't happen though. Each Personal roboport can only support a few bots, so it's normal to have some still in your inventory while others are out working.

Does it happen with any entity, or only specific ones? Sometimes with mods you can wind up with an item that can't actually be placed, or a ghost that doesn't actually have a corresponding item for the bot to use, even though they seem to have the same name as one that normally works.

Gooftorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gooftorio »

cbhj1 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:28 pm
How many ghosts do you have awaiting construction on the map?
Since I can't get construction bots to behave, zero, other than the one ghost I occasionally attempt in desperation and superstition.
robot256 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:25 pm
Does it happen with any entity, or only specific ones?
Seems to happen with everything--I've just now tried an assembler, a gun turret, a beacon, an oil refinery, some advanced (green) transport belt, a research server, and a steel chest. Nothing I've tried has ever worked (in Krastorio--works fine vanilla), although as I say, they'll come out and deconstruct anything, both from my personal roboport and the regular roboports

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

Probably need to post the save file to get answer. I've never heard of that happening before.

Gooftorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gooftorio »

I'll start a new map and see if I get the same results--maybe my save file got corrupted? My whole machine did crash mid-game yesterday, maybe I got some garbage in there. If I still find that my constructor robots are forming a labor union against me, I'll post the save file. Thanks all

Gooftorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gooftorio »

I really don't want to do this, but I guess I owe it to everyone who took the time and trouble to think about it for me. The problem was that I had the Construction Planner mod turned on--it prevents bots constructing your ghosts until you approve construction. The little checkboxes on the ghosts should have been a clue for me, but <insert lame excuse here>. The bots work fine when I approve the construction. My apologies to all who took me seriously, and of course apologies for my harsh words to the construction robots' labor union

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Gooftorio wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:23 pm
I really don't want to do this, but I guess I owe it to everyone who took the time and trouble to think about it for me.
I read this thread but didn't have anything to add to existing responses... but now I will say that admitting you, er, goofed and showing consideration for others both reflect well on you in my book (I would like to think others' also). And of course, your post also means someone else in the same situation can benefit.
and of course apologies for my harsh words to the construction robots' labor union
Ah... some will never forgive. Quietly send them to your borders.

Return to “Gameplay Help”