Pollution off the charts?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
RadioDoc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Pollution off the charts?

Post by RadioDoc »

I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is a bug or maybe I tweaked the wrong setting in the map, but it seems like my pollution levels in my latest playthrough are just skyrocketing. Since the update from 0.16.51 to 0.17.69, I've noticed that the pollution output seems to be occurring even if a building is idled. Maybe I'm just crazy in thinking this, but the entire time of the playthrough I'm on it's caused the bugs to be insanely aggressive and I haven't gotten nearly the amount of chill/idle time to plan expansions like my last playthrough. Anyone have any ideas of what I can check to see if I'm looking at a settings issue or if there's something else going on?

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Pollution off the charts?

Post by BlueTemplar »

Have you checked the production pollution tab ? The map pollution values under debug ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Also possibly relevant is the "Spawner pollution hoarding fix" section in https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-283 .

DerGraue
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DerGraue »

There was also a bug in 16.51 that caused the biter nests to absorb all of the pollution but never sending out the appropriate amount of biters. Meaning that a few biter nests would absorb the entire pollution from one direction and the biters would only attack on a very small scale. The nests behind those first nests would be protected from the pollution cloud. Now if the pollution is high enough the cloud will wander further into biter territory and therefore more biters can attack.

Also you say that you maybe tweaked the wrong settings. Which settings did you change?

RadioDoc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RadioDoc »

Ok so here's what I'm looking at:
This mine is characteristic of most of my mines - loaded belts, not a lot of movement, maybe only the back 4 or 5 in each belt lane running until the belt backs up again and then it sits static. In 0.16 I at least noticed that when I had a mine that went static, the pollution around it dropped off. In fact, I could completely idle a mine by just not pulling from it and the pollution would dissipate. That doesn't seem to be happening here.
My pollution distribution, even before the megabase in the upper left, was looking like this. Very dense, and right over every mine. It's like, all I need to do is drop an electric miner on the ground and that's enough to aggro the bugs on my location.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

Are you running any old mods that changed miners? The pollution calculations were changed from .16 to .17, so certain mods ended up emitting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more pollution than they should've.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Hmm, I don't have that much experience with large mining fields without efficiency modules to say if that's normal or not... (Miners do pollute a lot though.)

Try installing https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ChangeMapSettings , check what the current values are, and compare them to default presets ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

RadioDoc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RadioDoc »

Honktown wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:18 am
Are you running any old mods that changed miners? The pollution calculations were changed from .16 to .17, so certain mods ended up emitting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more pollution than they should've.
Nope, this is a fresh vanilla run on 0.17, no mods used.

DerGraue
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DerGraue »

A mining drill produces 10 pollution per minute.

You are producing 4.2k pollution with your mining drills, so about 420 are currently active. Provided that you did not use any modules.
That does not seem wrong to me.

RadioDoc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RadioDoc »

Here's the map settings, no idea what is "normal".

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

This is a default map setting for pollution :
2019-11-08 21_45_39-Window.jpg
2019-11-08 21_45_39-Window.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 3239 times
I rounded in red the most relevant parts
Absorption modifier : your soil, trees, ... absorb only one tenth of the default absorption rate.
Diffusion ratio : the pollution diffuses half less to neighboring chunks. So pollution spreads a little slower than default settings.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

RadioDoc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RadioDoc »

Ok so my problem is that the pollution is being absorbed too slowly then... That would explain what I'm seeing, and would probably explain why the bugs were hitting me so much. Also, yay for air cleaner mods :roll:

Return to “Gameplay Help”