Train not aligning with train stations correctly.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Spaghettificator
Inserter
Inserter

Train not aligning with train stations correctly.

Post by Spaghettificator »

Hi there.
I am having the worst game breaking thing right now with these weird train lengths mechanics.
So, i have a 80+9 ore train that i plan on unloading on 8 stations. To to that, the train will advance every 8 cars so it can unload the remaining behind.
But i can't set the stop stations because of this weird mechanic that messes up train position and won't align the wagons with the inserters.
The pictures below will explain better.
I can't find any solution on how to fix this. Help?
Attachments
You can see it is aligned here correctly.
You can see it is aligned here correctly.
1.png (3.97 MiB) Viewed 3213 times
Here i set the next station.
Here i set the next station.
2.png (4.2 MiB) Viewed 3213 times
As you can see, now the train will either be misaligned up or down, no matter how i put the next station.
As you can see, now the train will either be misaligned up or down, no matter how i put the next station.
Sem Título.png (3.74 MiB) Viewed 3213 times
Last edited by Spaghettificator on Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Train length not corresponding with train stations.

Post by mmmPI »

I think this happens after the front of the train engage in a curve. i think the problem comes from the number PI used for calculating the lengh of the curves, it disaligne all the behind wagons when the trains starts standing on a non-regular-grid lengh track.

If you make a straight rail long enough for 80+9 wagon after the station it is fixed !

Or you could break the trains into smaller train.

Some persons had some thought on this problem it seems.
viewtopic.php?t=63020

EDIT:I was wrong it's the stations that are 2x2 that do not align with 8 wagons + a loco and you need to space differently your stations.
Last edited by mmmPI on Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wisey
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Train not aligning with train stations correctly.

Post by Wisey »

I think the issue is that loco and carriage are 6 units long + 1 unit for the join. As your train has 8 carriages the length is (1+8) x 7 units long. When repeating each section it is 63 units long, as the stations & track are 2 units long it will be out by 1 unit.
I would either add an extra loco or carriage so they are 2+8 or 1+9 so each section of the train is an even number of units.
Edit: typo

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Wisey wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:27 pm
I think the issue is that loco and carriage are 6 units long + 1 unit for the join. As your train has 8 carriages the length is (1+8) x 7 units long. When repeating each section it is 63 units long, as the stations & track are 2 units long it will be out by 1 unit.
I would either add an extra loco or carriage so they are 2+8 or 1+9 so each section of the train is an even number of units.
Edit: typo
That is the correct explanation
alignment.jpg
alignment.jpg (705.8 KiB) Viewed 3194 times

Spaghettificator
Inserter
Inserter

Thank you for the explanations!
Yes, i now notice the diference of sizes between train units.
However, doing 2-8 * 10 trains would not suit me because the train would be absurdly long and with unnecessary pulling power, also, the 1-9 would not work also because that would mess me up with the uneven stations output.
So, i put all the 8 locos on the front (and removed the last 9th tail loco) following with 80 wagons and that seemed to work, altought i, visually, would prefer the other one i had with a loco per 8 wagons. But this works, and that's what it matters.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Spaghettificator wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:53 pm
However, doing 2-8 * 10 trains would not suit me because the train would be absurdly long […]
While I agree that a train of one hundred vehicles (locos + wagons) is absurdly long, I fail to see how a train of 89 vehicles wouldn't be. Myself, I've only used 1-2 (fluid trains) and 1-3 (solid cargo) trains so far, and I still haven't decided whether I should go with 2-6 or even (gasp!) 3-8 trains in my current game. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Pi-C wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:10 am
Spaghettificator wrote:
However, doing 2-8 * 10 trains would not suit me because the train would be absurdly long […]
While I agree that a train of one hundred vehicles (locos + wagons) is absurdly long, I fail to see how a train of 89 vehicles wouldn't be. Myself, I've only used 1-2 (fluid trains) and 1-3 (solid cargo) trains so far, and I still haven't decided whether I should go with 2-6 or even (gasp!) 3-8 trains in my current game. :-)
I was left confused yesterday thought i'd understand the next day, but it really seems that 100 compare to 89.

When doing the testing i gave up at around 25 wagons ( my "absudly long") and thought it didn't really matter the total size.

111 trains 121 trains are quite fun to play with too and offer different puzzle that's what i use the most, i hate so much using the long train myself as i very often need to move stuff here and there in cluttered build and moving a very long station is annoying, but here is a nice compromise that'll keep in my head.

Spaghettificator
Inserter
Inserter

Pi-C wrote:
Spaghettificator wrote:
mmmPI wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:27 am
Pi-C wrote:
Spaghettificator wrote:
I was left confused yesterday thought i'd understand the next day, but it really seems that 100 compare to 89.

When doing the testing i gave up at around 25 wagons ( my "absudly long") and thought it didn't really matter the total size.

111 trains 121 trains are quite fun to play with too and offer different puzzle that's what i use the most, i hate so much using the long train myself as i very often need to move stuff here and there in cluttered build and moving a very long station is annoying, but here is a nice compromise that'll keep in my head.
It's mostly so i can ferry around huge amounts of ore from really, really, REALLY, far away mines, the ones that gives you 150+ million.
Having my normal trains ferrying the stuff directly to my furnaces would take ages to do and the amount of 1-4 trains necessary to keep the ovens lit would be astronomical, not to mention traffic would be worse than the busiest city on Earth and would most likely grid lock every time they ran.
The trip from those mines to my factory is around 5 minutes, so i have a couple of huge trains, loading on those mines, and unloading them at central stations so it can then load them up on the 1-4 trains.
And i set on 80 cars because i like round numbers, so i have 20 (1-4) trains on each mega train.

T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by T-A-R »

You can step stations per 2 wagons. So an en number of locs will solve your question. If you want a train belt give all stops in the loop the same name, and ste them an even number of wagons apart from each other. that way you only have to set 2 stations it he train schedule, to make the giant train alternate stops, choosing the next closest every time.

Return to “Gameplay Help”