howto speedrun

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
furkas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

howto speedrun

Post by furkas »

Hello Factorians,
I read some about speedrunning and watched some viceos on yt. But what do I have to do actually to start a speedrun-game? I can't see anything to click on, be it in 'New Game', 'Campain' or 'Scenario'. :?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: howto speedrun

Post by Jap2.0 »

You start it the same as a normal game, and the time always displays when you finish; there's no need for a special mode.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

furkas wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:32 pm
Hello Factorians,
I read some about speedrunning and watched some viceos on yt. But what do I have to do actually to start a speedrun-game? I can't see anything to click on, be it in 'New Game', 'Campain' or 'Scenario'. :?
Just make new game with preferences "high", "big", "rich" and play the game very fast: fast and good factory building and optimization.

MoleOnDope
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MoleOnDope »

Hello Furkas,

the objective of a speedrun is to complete a full game (generally tagged "100%") or a certain portion of it (most likely named "Any% or a specific name).
I think it's great that you want to get into speedrunning, factorio is actually the first game I played that made me think about it myself.
What is definitely adviseable is exactly knowing the goal you're trying to accomplish (for instance, winning the game by launching a rocket with a satellite in it for a Any%-Run) and having a custom strategy how you're going to get there (so for example what exactly you need to produce in which fixed order and also what you can skip). That requires a lot of planning ahead and of course will form and adapt over each iteration/run/try.

Just keep in mind that for certain runs there are strict rules that are agreed upon within the community and can't be broken in order for you to call it the "official" title:
for example chosing the settings darkfrei mentioned...
darkfrei wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:04 pm
Just make new game with preferences "high", "big", "rich" and play the game very fast
(...).
... would disqualify you for a "default settings" run, which, as the name says can only completed in a strictly default settings world.
But don't get me wrong, it does make things easier and is a great way of getting started, you can always figure out stuff on the way!

Good luck to you!

furkas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by furkas »

Thanks for the answers. Excuse me for expressing myself unclear.
I did many runs with another player to launch the rocket. We have some experience although we hop from one emergency to the next. And we do better every time.
I also want to have the display of goals and times, as seen in the videos. Is it a MOD?
Attachments
speedrun-antielitz.PNG
speedrun-antielitz.PNG (35.76 KiB) Viewed 3657 times

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Return to “Gameplay Help”