Kovarex Uranium Enrichment Setup

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
TexasMail
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Kovarex Uranium Enrichment Setup

Post by TexasMail »

How do I get the Kovarex enrichment centrifuge to work properly? Is there a simpler way?

I believe I understand the concept. The Kovarex centrifuge input is 40 U-235 and U-238 with inserters.
It then runs and the output is 41 U-235 and 2 U-238. I can first use a filter inserter to
grab the U-238 and either recycle them, use them to make reactor fuel or use them for weapons.
I notice that if I let the random U-235 go to the Kovarex centrifuge in addition to the 40, I
still only get 41 out, the excess U-235 stays in the Kovarex unit. I can only remove them manually.
This problem also prevents more than one Kovarex unit to be put in the same structure because any one will take more than 40 U-235.
So, I use a fast filter inserter to direct these random U-235 to the assembling machine that makes reactor fuel and use the
following structure for each Kovarex centrifuge.

The issue is how to capture the one of 41 Kovarex U-235 output to use to make fuel for the nuclear reactor
and then recycle the remaining 40 to the Kovarex unit so it keeps working and consuming U-238.

I have gotten it to work by using a wood box, 1 fast filter inserter (purple), 1 fast inserter (blue), 2 inserters (yellow), 1 decider combinator,
1 power switch and the the circuit network.

+ The Kovarex unit output goes to a belt.
+ The fast filter inserter (purple) removes the U-238 from this belt. It is positioned just before the box so a U-238 does not slip by.
+ The box receives the U-235 using a fast inserter.
+ I use the first inserter (yellow) to remove items from the box and recycle them to the Kovarex unit. If a fast inserter is used, the timing fails.
+ I set up the second inserter (yellow) to grab a U-235 from the box and I override the stack so that only 1 item is grabbed.
+ I use a power switch and decider combinator to turn the power on for this second inserter (yellow) when the box inventory is zero.
With this structure, the second inserter grabs just one U-235 and holds it when the power turns off to this inserter.
Positioning of power poles is important so that this inserter is only controlled by the power switch/decider combinator using the circuit network.
+ The power to this second inserter (yellow) turns on when the box inventory drops to zero and then the single U-235 is put on a belt to the assembly
machine that makes reactor fuel.

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Kovarex Uranium Enrichment Setup

Post by nosports »

i had the same trouble and decided to make the urans circle (through some chests)
2018-05-09 23_46_13-Factorio 0.16.jpg
2018-05-09 23_46_13-Factorio 0.16.jpg (163.29 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
When i did set that up i let it run for some time (deliver continous uranium ore to keep it moving) and resolved to use solar / akku -power as a more easier and scalable energy resource...

So for now i have zillions (ok ok just a little exaggerting a little ;) ) of uran 238 / 235 and fuel cells with no use :lol:

(on a side note some more zillions solar panels and akkus sitting in chests also :-)

TexasMail
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TexasMail »

How do you avoid the Kovarex units from simply accumulating U-235 inside? They seem to always provide 41 to the product inserter, but when
I manually look inside, each one is accumulating U-235 with no apparent way to get them out other than manually.

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

i use 4 inserters for each centrifuge, the outgoing are filtered and place the uranium back on the belts......

only important thing is that you need to make sure they can be placed
so the 235 are alway placed at the empty side of the belt.
the 238 are spaced......

but hey finding a nice solution for one is part of the game :-)
I must admit i first though also about circuit but resolved to a simpler flow solution

TexasMail
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TexasMail »

Thank you for your help.

SilverShadow
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SilverShadow »

I recommend you to look at this setup:
https://youtu.be/yA21zrqMMq0?t=303
You can modify this to make sure that all excess U-235 would leave the setup.
Possible way to do this:
  1. get the current number of U-235 in boxes and inserters
  2. program inserter that takes out U-235 from this setup to be off by default, to take 1 item at a time and turn it on when U-235 > 40 in boxes and inserters. It should make just one swing and grub just one U-235 per one Kovarex process
  3. program inserter that insert U-235 to the centrifuge to start to work only after the aforementioned output inserter has U-235 and turn it off after there is no U-235 in boxes an inserters
Btw when you try to find Kovarex setup on the internet almost every time you would see rows and rows of centrifuges with speed modules surrounded by beacons with speed modules. And that's the weirdest thing I see related to factorio. The thing is you need only one Kovarex centrifuge to sustain 30 nuclear reacors without any modules. And simple setup of one centrifuge doing uranium processing, one centrifuge doing Kovarex enrichment process and one Assembling machine 3 with 4*Productivity module 3 is able to sustain 43.47 nuclear reactors (that's exact number, not rounded).

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

TexasMail wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:47 pm
I notice that if I let the random U-235 go to the Kovarex centrifuge in addition to the 40, I still only get 41 out, the excess U-235 stays in the Kovarex unit. I can only remove them manually.
This problem also prevents more than one Kovarex unit to be put in the same structure because any one will take more than 40 U-235.
Inserters load enough materials to build two outputs whether they are loading factories, chem plants or centrifuges. So while the Kovarex process only needs 40 U-235 to work, the inserters will load 80, and yes those 80 will stay in the centrifuge. 41 will come out, and the inserters will promptly load 40 back in to make it up to 80 again. I start with 40, and then just let the process run until it has built up the 80, everything after that is available for fuel or what have you. I hope this helps to explain what is going on, I know how frustrating it can be when something isn't working the way I expected.
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

Extended kovarex discussion, and lots of builds here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62778

Return to “Gameplay Help”