Filter inserter 2 operating mode

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Trapton
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Filter inserter 2 operating mode

Post by Trapton »

Hello,
Excuse in advance; my English is not that good, so have mercy on the translation.

I'll briefly introduce my situation:

I have a Trainstop (Get-Item) that reads the train ID (eg 62) of the train and sends it to the circuit network. In the Circuit network are several Decider combinator, which outputs an item with the value 1 on the basis of the train ID (eg copper ore).
The Decider combinator is used to program the request box and the filter inserter. And here begins my problem.

My problem:

The train is loaded with copper ore and is full, but some of the filter inserters still have the last item in their hands. Now comes the next train and this is to be loaded with iron plates, get is still loaded with 12 copper ore, which had the filter inserter still in his hand. That should not happen.

I would basically try to sync the filter inserter, but you can only set one mode.
How do I get that filter inserter to stop taking items when the train is full and still be able to control them via the circuit network?

I hope you understand my request.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Filter inserter 2 operating mode

Post by DaveMcW »

You can filter the wagon by middle-clicking each slot.

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

That still leaves inserters holding the wrong items, slowing loading rates, or even preventing loading altogether.

The best way to do this is going to be to stop an inserter from picking up more items than the wagon can hold.

Remember that on top of the ability to set a filter, you can also read the hand contents, set the stack size, and enable/disable the inserter all at the same time.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

There should only be few occasions when you mix items per waggon.

You can limit inserters to 1 stack item manually. Which is an easy fix but slows it down.

What i do is i fill the train with a fast stack inserter. Once the waggon is full, but the inserter isnt empty, i use an filter inserter to take out 1 by 1 of this item, which the stack inserter will fill until its empty. The result is an empty inserter and a full waggon. Takes some combinator logic

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

aober93 wrote:There should only be few occasions when you mix items per waggon.
Not the problem being discussed.

Trapton
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Trapton »

Thanks for the answers.

I found a solution:

I read the train and search for items smaller than the number of the inserters capacity and unload this item with a filter inserter.
Not the nicest solution, because such an inserter is less present, but it works.
But would not be really bad if you could put several properties on the filter inserter.

A synchronization of the arms with the filter option would of course be nicer.

Blacksmoker
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Blacksmoker »

What I once did, and unfortunately do not know anymore what inspired me there (edit: as in, I have seen some pictures somewhere, where people already had similar systems in place, though I believe I have improved on those still), was a rather complicated setup circuit-wise, but easy to explain:

I also had a decider that, depending on the train number, selected an item to be loaded onto the train. (e.g. if T=1, Coal=1)
Then, it had to be calculated how many items can fit into one wagon. (e.g. Coal*50*40)
The stack filter inserters loading the train were controlled by the network and given the calculated number of items divided by the number of inserters used as a signal (Coal=2000/12)
This causes them to take that item at the highest possible stack size in the beginning
The stack filters were hooked up, on a different wire, to a counter that counted there picked up items on pulses.
The counter was negatively added to the original signal, therefore decreasing it on each inserter swing.
When the counter was getting close to showing a full wagon, the signal reaching the stack inserters became smaller than their max stack size, and therefore caused them to take less items.
When the signal being sent to them was smaller than 1 (because of the division by the number of inserters used), they stopped, possibly leaving up to the number of stack inserters of missing items for that wagon.
At worst, this could lead to up to the number of inserters used missing items in each wagon, which I decided for myself was fine.

As it is then not possible to make the train leave at full load, because it could have up to the number of inserters missing items, I had an additional system telling for each wagon if it was fully loaded and when all wagons send that signal, I passed a green signal to the station itself, on which the train left. That could also be done easier by letting the train go after a certain amount of time of inactivity, but that way it is at best about a second slower than doing it by signals.

If anyone is REEEEEALLY interested, I can see if I might have that old save still lying around somewhere, and see if I could bring it to work again, but I have not looked at it for a while now.

Another note should be that, due to the usage of the counter, this system is required to be powered the entire time a train is present in the station. A brownout can cause the combinators to loose their signals, invalidating the current count and overfilling the train!

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Though the focus was not on preventing a train overfill, I did something very similar here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=60500

The purpose there was to load a train with an exact amount of goods based on input. It's basically the same logic, but needs the addition of a ceiling function based on train capacity.

Return to “Gameplay Help”