Nuclear Reactor isn't getting hotter than 700° SOLVED

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
fibii
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Nuclear Reactor isn't getting hotter than 700° SOLVED

Post by fibii »

At the start and for a long time my Nuclear Reactor worked fine no problems or whatsoever. But then out of nowhere my electricity went down and i checked my reactor and it didnt got hotter than 728° and now i don't really know what to do because it worked before.
I would be glad if anyone could help me out.
Have a nice day :)
Last edited by fibii on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Nuclear Reactor isn't getting hotter than 700°

Post by Mr. Tact »

A screenshot might be helpful, a game save would be better.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

fibii
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fibii »

Mr. Tact wrote:A screenshot might be helpful, a game save would be better.
I'll do that in no time just give me a few :)

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

I'm guessing you don't have enough throughput in your heat pipes.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

fibii
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fibii »

Mr. Tact wrote:A screenshot might be helpful, a game save would be better.
Attachments
I know it looks messy it's my first run so yea haha
I know it looks messy it's my first run so yea haha
20180424004012_1.jpg (560.3 KiB) Viewed 5265 times

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

I'm guessing from that screenshot that the heat pipes are too long. This is a "known issue" -- you need to keep them as short as possible.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

fibii
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fibii »

Mr. Tact wrote:I'm guessing from that screenshot that the heat pipes are too long. This is a "known issue" -- you need to keep them as short as possible.
Ahhhh i'll try that thank you a alot! :D

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Good lord that pile of nuclear spaghetti! Gotta love it. :lol:

A solo nuclear reactor outputs 40MW, enough to support exactly 4 heat exchangers. You have 6 heat exchangers. Your reactor isn't getting any hotter because it's maxed out and the full 40MW are being drawn from it. It's time to scale up! But uh. This time leave a lot more free space to build it. Your nuclear reactor site will need dedicated water pumps and lines (don't build a death blob of pipes, the game hates that) for every 10-12 heat exchangers in action. The steam turbines will also take up a huge chunk of space so leave lots of room to experiment.

Nuclear reactors have a special (if not very well documented) property where if two reactors are perfectly adjacent, they multiply each other's energy output. A twin reactor (2x1) will output 80 + 100% => 160MW, and a square (2x2) reactor will output 160 +200% => 480MW worth of heat. You can make a reactor as long as you like- 2x4, 2x8, 2x30, and it'll work fine as long as you can pack in the water supply and keep the heat exchangers not too far from the reactor. Bigger reactors are obviously trickier to build of course.

fibii
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fibii »

bobucles wrote:Good lord that pile of nuclear spaghetti! Gotta love it. :lol:

A solo nuclear reactor outputs 40MW, enough to support exactly 4 heat exchangers. You have 6 heat exchangers. Your reactor isn't getting any hotter because it's maxed out and the full 40MW are being drawn from it. It's time to scale up! But uh. This time leave a lot more free space to build it. Your nuclear reactor site will need dedicated water pumps and lines (don't build a death blob of pipes, the game hates that) for every 10-12 heat exchangers in action. The steam turbines will also take up a huge chunk of space so leave lots of room to experiment.

Nuclear reactors have a special (if not very well documented) property where if two reactors are perfectly adjacent, they multiply each other's energy output. A twin reactor (2x1) will output 80 + 100% => 160MW, and a square (2x2) reactor will output 160 +200% => 480MW worth of heat. You can make a reactor as long as you like- 2x4, 2x8, 2x30, and it'll work fine as long as you can pack in the water supply and keep the heat exchangers not too far from the reactor. Bigger reactors are obviously trickier to build of course.
I just want to slap me right now haha >.< i forgot that it just puts out 40MW. And about that pile well yea most of it happened at night at around 4-5 am my brain doesnt work that well when it's to late but i'll try that out! :D

fibii
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fibii »

bobucles wrote:Good lord that pile of nuclear spaghetti! Gotta love it. :lol:

It worked, thank you so much seriously and i moved everything now to a "better" place so thank you sooooooo much :D

Return to “Gameplay Help”