Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Zavian »

Changing weapons using TAb is working for me. It does require both weapons to have ammo in their ammo slot. Could that be your problem? (Changing to a weapon without ammo doesn't make much sense). (Tested in 0.16.16)

TexasMail
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TexasMail »

Something simple. I thought I tried to add ammo, but I tried again and once I add the ammo then TAB works. Thank you.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Is there any way to stop a command partway through (ex. /c game.forces.player.chart(game.player.surface, {{x = -10000, y = -10000}, {x = 10000, y = 10000}}) - yeah, I messed up a little.)? Saving and reloading doesn't stop the command. If anyone can reply soon, it would be greatly appreciated, for reasons you can probably guess. Thanks.

As an afterthought, it's not that crucial because I can save it and come back later and stuff.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

E-37
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by E-37 »

Jap2.0 wrote:Is there any way to stop a command partway through (ex. /c game.forces.player.chart(game.player.surface, {{x = -10000, y = -10000}, {x = 10000, y = 10000}}) - yeah, I messed up a little.)? Saving and reloading doesn't stop the command. If anyone can reply soon, it would be greatly appreciated, for reasons you can probably guess. Thanks.

As an afterthought, it's not that crucial because I can save it and come back later and stuff.
Ooh... that will take a long time.
If you still have it, try to go back to the last autosave. If not wait until the night and load the level and run it overnight and remember the time that you started it. It should finish. Now, look at the play time of the save at the last autosave and the save you loaded the night before. Subtract the night's time from the autosave's. Then calculate how long it has been on your computer's clock from when you started the map. If you know how much time the map has been running and how long it has actually been, you can find how much longer it will take to finish the command. If it takes only a few hours then you can load the old save and wait it out. If it takes longer then try to stay up and run it overnight again so you wake up ~30 mins before you calculated it would end.

How big is the map file now?
Good things come in bags marked "SWAG"

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

E-37 wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:Is there any way to stop a command partway through (ex. /c game.forces.player.chart(game.player.surface, {{x = -10000, y = -10000}, {x = 10000, y = 10000}}) - yeah, I messed up a little.)? Saving and reloading doesn't stop the command. If anyone can reply soon, it would be greatly appreciated, for reasons you can probably guess. Thanks.

Ooh... that will take a long time.
If you still have it, try to go back to the last autosave. If not wait until the night and load the level and run it overnight and remember the time that you started it. It should finish. Now, look at the play time of the save at the last autosave and the save you loaded the night before. Subtract the night's time from the autosave's. Then calculate how long it has been on your computer's clock from when you started the map. If you know how much time the map has been running and how long it has actually been, you can find how much longer it will take to finish the command. If it takes only a few hours then you can load the old save and wait it out. If it takes longer then try to stay up and run it overnight again so you wake up ~30 mins before you calculated it would end.

How big is the map file now?
I don't know the exact size now, though it has grown quite a bit. The thing is, (and this is going to sound really stupid), I picked up quite a ups-unfriendly save from here and thought I'd add a few large blueprints to it, however I though charting part of the map would help make it easier. So, if I go back to the last save, I have to wait quite a bit for the base to get up and running again, while I have no idea how long this might take to finish. I would teleport to the edge of where it will chart, but the game only seems to run one command at a time (although I haven't tried that command specifically).

hreintke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hreintke »

Hi,

I have a "U shaped logistic network" :
constructionbots.JPG
constructionbots.JPG (29.45 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
I deconstruced some items in the area of copperfield3 (on the top)
The construction robots to do this are coming from the Copperfield area (below).

These robots start flying towards copperfield3 but after a short period they return to the copperfield roboports to reload.
This happens repetitive -> robots are flying around, nothing is being deconstructed.

Is there a way to get out of this endless loop ?
is there a way to prevent this behavior ?

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

They are running out of charge and returning to the nearest roboport to recharge. Add a string of roboports in the middle for bots to charge at. Long term the better solution is not to build U-shaped bot networks.

hreintke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hreintke »

That's a tricky one.
Means that I can have a fully connected network,with hundreds of robots but still have black spots on the map.

- Based on what are the robots chosen that will execute the job ?
- Is there a way that I can see it, besides wandering why it takes so long ?
- Can I force the (a number of) robots to goto a specific roboport ?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

hreintke wrote:That's a tricky one.
Means that I can have a fully connected network,with hundreds of robots but still have black spots on the map.

- Based on what are the robots chosen that will execute the job ?

I think it's distance, though I'm not sure.
hreintke wrote:- Is there a way that I can see it, besides wandering why it takes so long ?
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I think the answer's no.
hreintke wrote:- Can I force the (a number of) robots to goto a specific roboport ?
Yes. You can read how many bots are in a roboport via the circuit network, and then use inserters in conjunction with requester/provider chests to put robots in and take robots out of roboports.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Actually I think the circuit network returns the number of bots in the logistics network, not the number in the roboport.

I normally use personal roboports for construction/deconstruction. (The only time I use construction bots in a normal roboport is for solar fields).

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Zavian wrote:Actually I think the circuit network returns the number of bots in the logistics network, not the number in the roboport.

I normally use personal roboports for construction/deconstruction. (The only time I use construction bots in a normal roboport is for solar fields).
Really? I was sure I've heard of people doing this before.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Zavian wrote:Actually I think the circuit network returns the number of bots in the logistics network, not the number in the roboport.

I phrased that badly. The roboport outputs both the total number and number of available logistic and construction bots in it's logistics network. But the question asked above was about determining the number of bots in a specific roboport. The circuit method won't do what Hreintke wants, except in the special case where the logistics network only contains one roboport.

See viewtopic.php?f=18&t=38745 for an image.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Zavian wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:

I phrased that badly. The roboport outputs both the total number and number of available logistic and construction bots in it's logistics network. But the question asked above was about determining the number of bots in a specific roboport. The circuit method won't do what Hreintke wants, except in the special case where the logistics network only contains one roboport.

See viewtopic.php?f=18&t=38745 for an image.
Never mind then. I was sure there was a way to do that, but now that I look I can't find anything.

E-37
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by E-37 »

I've seen a lot of circuitry wizardry around. Unfortunately I don't know how it works. I understand how to use all the components but not how to put them together. Any suggestions to learn how to use them? Should I just set up in a large clear area with lots of each components and play with them or is there a better (more efficient) way?
Good things come in bags marked "SWAG"

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

E-37 wrote:I've seen a lot of circuitry wizardry around. Unfortunately I don't know how it works. I understand how to use all the components but not how to put them together. Any suggestions to learn how to use them? Should I just set up in a large clear area with lots of each components and play with them or is there a better (more efficient) way?
I would suggest you search youtube for combinator tutorials. Learning combinators is not something that can be easily done.
And for a kickstart visit wiki page
https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Combinator_tutorial

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

Is that possible for automated trains to collide on intersection (roundabout) with signals?
I have found loose wagon and some debris, and train with missing wagons...

Roundabout was built long ago, same for trains.
Trains was not operated manually...

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

If the train is too long to fit in the circle and makes an 270degree turn it bites itself in the ass.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

That's silly... How to prevent it?
Why do train missed first exit, and instead of 90* right did 3x90* left?

LazyLoneLion
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LazyLoneLion »

steinio wrote:If the train is too long to fit in the circle and makes an 270degree turn it bites itself in the ass.
But why would you need a 270 degree turn instead of 90 degree in the opposite direction?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

LazyLoneLion wrote:
steinio wrote:If the train is too long to fit in the circle and makes an 270degree turn it bites itself in the ass.
But why would you need a 270 degree turn instead of 90 degree in the opposite direction?
That's the silly thing about roundabouts.

Return to “Gameplay Help”