Heavy Oil Not Pumping

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
cenroe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Heavy Oil Not Pumping

Post by cenroe »

I don't know why I run into this problem every time I start oil. Light oil and petroleum pump fine, but after a few seconds, everything stop because heavy oil stops. It doesn't matter if I'm just cracking it or (in case of screenshot) turning it into lubricant. All light oil is cracking to petroleum Those lubricant tanks are 100% empty. What am I doing wrong?
Attachments
heavy oil.png
heavy oil.png (2.56 MiB) Viewed 6847 times

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Heavy Oil Not Pumping

Post by DaveMcW »

cenroe wrote:All light oil is cracking to petroleum
Try giving your cracking plants some water.

cenroe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cenroe »

I have been staring at this thing for two hours.... :oops:

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Try to delete all pipes with heavy oil and place it again.

cenroe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cenroe »

Will do. The water addition fixed this issue, but I've had other similar problems I know were not caused by my ineptitude to connect my water to its source. Thanks for the solution on this bout of incompetence though!

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

oil refineries will stop producing if any of the products it produces are backed up.

you can do more cracking to petroleum if you have a use for petroleum.

another option is to turn the light into solid fuel which you will need for rockets anyway.
good for trains and steam engine too.

if you need more heavy oil for lube, and don't mind getting less light oil & petroleum you can switch to standard refining.
standard nets 30H 30L 40P vs advanced 10H 45L 55P. just don't forget to deconstruct the water input! :P

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

impetus maximus wrote:oil refineries will stop producing if any of the products it produces are backed up.

you can do more cracking to petroleum if you have a use for petroleum.

another option is to turn the light into solid fuel which you will need for rockets anyway.
good for trains and steam engine too.

if you need more heavy oil for lube, and don't mind getting less light oil & petroleum you can switch to standard refining.
standard nets 30H 30L 40P vs advanced 10H 45L 55P. just don't forget to deconstruct the water input! :P
There is no need to deconstruct the water input if switching back to standard, the Oil refinery will simply not accept the water while the recipe is not set to Advanced oil processing.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

I find the Bottleneck mod to be a great help in situations like this (i.e., half the time I'm playing). Simple indicators show you what is stopping your machines from running, or if they're running normally.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/trold/Bottleneck

Triaxx2
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Triaxx2 »

Use circuit controlled pumps. Connect the Lubricant tanks together. Then connect to two pumps. One only pumps when you've got enough lubricant, and then flip the condition so the other pump only runs when the lube is below the amount you want. Should allow the system to run and keep you in both options.

Return to “Gameplay Help”