A simple circuit problem.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Forzberg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

A simple circuit problem.

Post by Forzberg »

Hi all

First of i like to thank the developers for an awesome game. I bought i just a few weeks ago and have already spent more then 100 hours, so keep up the good work, looking forward to see what future updates can make this game even more awesome.

I have a small problem to solve and i was hoping someone with decent circuit knowledge could give me a hand.

Basically to seal off a bottleneck i have a wall, lasers, tons of solarpanels, you know the story. In order to not have to go there and repair manually i setup a train, that will go to each of these bottleneck-defence-setups, to deliver repair packs. When unloaded my idea is that it will be unloaded and transported to a roboportnetwork that will cover the whole area of the bottleneck.

My problem that i cannot figure out is, how can i setup a network so that the unloading station will ONLY unload more repair packs if the repair packs in the "system" falls, below for example 100? If someone can help me setup this up, i can copy the same formula for bots, walls, lasers and walls and this way, make the defence area standalone with would save me a ton of time.

thanks alot for anyone who can give me a hint.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: A simple circuit problem.

Post by SyncViews »

Are you trying to unload directly into a roboport?
Construction bots will take repair packs from passive provider chests (also spare turrets and such are useful, as biters will sometimes destroy a turret or other "front line" objects before they can be repaired).

Thus an easy solution is to unload the wagon into a passive provider chest and limit the number of slots on that chest (say 1 or 2). Although construction bots will store some spare packs in roboports as well, the quantities are generally not worth worrying about (e.g. if the chest has space for 100 packs, is it really a problem if the outpost has 120 total?).

If you do want to deliver multiple different items (e.g. spare turrets) an easy way is to have one passive provider chest per item (can easily have 12 chests per wagon) and use a filter inserter so each chest is filled with the specific item, and filter the wagon slots (middle click) to ensure the wagon has reserved slots for each different item.

Forzberg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Forzberg »

Hey

thanks for your answer.

No ideally i want the wagons to offload to a passive chest and from there, robots insert repair packs into the roboports. I understand your point, "just let it flow" but i would still like to know how to limit the amount of items in a system, (example, in this case, that the inserter will read the contect from the roboports, and only if its below 100 it will feed from the wagon) not only to get a better idea how the logic systems work, but also to apply the princip into other areas of the game.
SyncViews wrote:Are you trying to unload directly into a roboport?
Construction bots will take repair packs from passive provider chests (also spare turrets and such are useful, as biters will sometimes destroy a turret or other "front line" objects before they can be repaired).

Thus an easy solution is to unload the wagon into a passive provider chest and limit the number of slots on that chest (say 1 or 2). Although construction bots will store some spare packs in roboports as well, the quantities are generally not worth worrying about (e.g. if the chest has space for 100 packs, is it really a problem if the outpost has 120 total?).

If you do want to deliver multiple different items (e.g. spare turrets) an easy way is to have one passive provider chest per item (can easily have 12 chests per wagon) and use a filter inserter so each chest is filled with the specific item, and filter the wagon slots (middle click) to ensure the wagon has reserved slots for each different item.

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

Filter inserters enabled based on logistic network contents. Inserters can connect to logistic network:
http://imgur.com/a/KEfqF

Inserter only needs to be inside the logistic area of a roboport. Set a condition to enable inserter only when respective item is low in logistic network. Set train to leave on inactivity.

Forzberg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Forzberg »

Okey, so heres what i want:

I want i want the inserter (5), to read the content of 1,2,3,4 and if the item amount is less then 100 i want inserter 5 to grab from the passive provider 6, until 1,2,3 and 4 has a 100 item count once again.

I have a feeling this is a 30second fix but i just cant figure it out.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 22.13.50.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 22.13.50.png (844.02 KiB) Viewed 3223 times

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

Forzberg wrote:Okey, so heres what i want:

I want i want the inserter (5), to read the content of 1,2,3,4 and if the item amount is less then 100 i want inserter 5 to grab from the passive provider 6, until 1,2,3 and 4 has a 100 item count once again.

Issues I see:
  • Roboports output the content of the entire logistics network, not just their own content. By wiring two roboports like that you are doubling the actual contents
  • The provider chests are also included in the output from the roboports, by wiring them you are again adding up their contents multiple times. The only exception is the requester chest, since that doesn't count as logistic storage.
  • None of the wiring is necessary. Just connect inserter directly to logistic network as I explained above. The inserter will wirelessly read the entire contents of the logistic network and be able to decide when more repair packs are needed.
  • Don't need to use requester chests and insert repair packs into roboports, the bots can just as well use repair packs from provider or storage chests. If you wish to store the repair packs closer to roboports then use storage chests near them and active provider chests in unloading train station

Forzberg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Forzberg »

sign:( just cannot figure it out. have tried all sorts of cominations (i think atleast) with just the inserter as you advised but i just cant seem to make it work. Whenever it does feed, it doesnt stop feed once the count is 100.
Yoyobuae wrote:
Forzberg wrote:Okey, so heres what i want:

Issues I see:
  • Roboports output the content of the entire logistics network, not just their own content. By wiring two roboports like that you are doubling the actual contents
  • The provider chests are also included in the output from the roboports, by wiring them you are again adding up their contents multiple times. The only exception is the requester chest, since that doesn't count as logistic storage.
  • None of the wiring is necessary. Just connect inserter directly to logistic network as I explained above. The inserter will wirelessly read the entire contents of the logistic network and be able to decide when more repair packs are needed.
  • Don't need to use requester chests and insert repair packs into roboports, the bots can just as well use repair packs from provider or storage chests. If you wish to store the repair packs closer to roboports then use storage chests near them and active provider chests in unloading train station

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

Forzberg wrote:sign:( just cannot figure it out. have tried all sorts of cominations (i think atleast) with just the inserter as you advised but i just cant seem to make it work. Whenever it does feed, it doesnt stop feed once the count is 100.
Seems it's not possible to read the amount of repair packs inside the roboport itself. Works if you put them in provider or storage chests instead though.

So just don't insert the repair packs into roboport, let the bots take them from chests instead.

Miravlix
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Miravlix »

Forzberg wrote:... and from there, robots insert repair packs into the roboports.
It's a mistake to load repair packs into roboports, the robots take them from chests.

The only time roboport repair pack slots should be used is when a robot return from a repair job and has one with it. (Otherwise you end up with the robot having a problem if it has a repair pack in it's inventory and try to return to the Roboport)

Unload from a train with a filter inserter circuit linked to a passive provider chest with the filter set to repair packs and have it move 10-20 packs into the chest.

Return to “Gameplay Help”