Small pumps: use cases

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Small pumps: use cases

Post by SirRichie »

I am still wondering about good use cases for small pumps.
The use cases I have found so far are somewhat nice, but not really necessary:
- using small pumps to selectively direct water to steam engines, i.e. only when you need it. But then again, you can turn off power production by steam engines when you have accumulator power in an easier way.
- the liquid cargo wagon needs them, and this is what I mainly use them for
- ...?

I think that small pumps have a comparatively high resource cost as they require electric engines, which is an advanced item. But I cannot find good, advanced use cases for them. However, maybe some of you have great ideas on how to use them? Ideally, it would be something that truly increases productivity, decreases power consumption or allows for any other fancy automation / advanced stuff.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Small pumps: use cases

Post by Boogieman14 »

I use them for balancing oil products. My refinery feeds into a tank system for each of heavy, light and gas. I have pumps connected to the heavy and light tanks that will engage when the oil level is >1000 to feed the excess into cracking or (for light oil) solid fuel. I usually also have one that feeds gas >2000 into solid fuel, so none of my tanks ever fill up and I also don't run out of any of the three.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Small pumps: use cases

Post by SirRichie »

That is a simple AND brilliant idea.
I like that - thank you

Return to “Gameplay Help”