Reducing contents using a splitter confusing

Post comments, typo reports and suggestions regarding the Factorio guide (http://guide.factorio.com).

Reducing contents using a splitter confusing

Postby peteruithoven » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:44 pm

I think that the reducing contents on a belt using a splitter is quite confusing, because in the image the content is actually multiplied. I'm referring to the image with the percentages on the following page:

guide.factorio > 05) Belt and inserter mechanics
(can't include urls yet)
peteruithoven
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Reducing contents using a splitter confusing

Postby impetus maximus » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:18 pm

welcome to the forums. here's your link
http://guide.factorio.com/05-belt-and-i ... anics.html
recruiting east coast/mid west US players with mics (mumble) for private Co-Op 0.14.* server.
PM if interested.
impetus maximus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Postby golfmiketango » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:55 am

OP is correct in the sense that the image in question differs from the pattern exhibited by most (all?) of the other images on the page, which show relative levels of scarcity on the belts corresponding to the percentage distributions.

But, since it's an open-access wiki, OP could correct the problem himself, if he so chose? Or I'm mistaken?
golfmiketango
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Postby golfmiketango » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:22 am

impetus maximus wrote:welcome to the forums. here's your link
http://guide.factorio.com/05-belt-and-i ... anics.html

I should have mentioned, +1, welcome to factorio!
golfmiketango
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Postby SHiRKiT » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:21 pm

golfmiketango wrote:But, since it's an open-access wiki, OP could correct the problem himself, if he so chose? Or I'm mistaken?

The Factorio Guide is not a Wiki, and it's not open-access, it's read-only in HTML format, so the OP can't correct that,
SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Postby golfmiketango » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:36 pm

SHiRKiT wrote:
golfmiketango wrote:But, since it's an open-access wiki, OP could correct the problem himself, if he so chose? Or I'm mistaken?

The Factorio Guide is not a Wiki, and it's not open-access, it's read-only in HTML format, so the OP can't correct that,

Ah, well then I stand corrected. OP, I suppose I should have mentioned that your best bet, either way, to understand things like this, is to play with them yourself in the game. If you aren't yet producing a torrent of "plates" to play with in-game, then you might try the "Creative Mode" Mod which can be installed via the mods menu of the game. By using the several cheats it has to offer almost anything you might want to try can be given a go.

The "short answer" to your question, however, is that, in the situation shown, the plates have reached the end of the belt and are piling up as they have nowhere else to go. After a while this behavior starts to look so normal that it's hard for an experienced player to think of it as in any way confusing -- but I am pretty sure I remember looking at that very diagram on my first or second day of factorio and thinking "so what the @$&^#%$ is going on in that picture?"

Although this is not the point of the picture, by the way, probably the most powerful -- but, sometimes, also the most annoying -- feature of splitters is that when output lanes "jam" in this way, and the "jam" extends all the way back to the splitter, the splitter will automatically change its behavior, to output /all/ items input on the same lane (i.e., left- or right-hand side of the belt) onto the corresponding non-jammed output lane. (That's a dense bit of words, there, you may have to read it a few times before it clicks... or, like I said, just try it, the game is worth a giga-word and then some). So a splitter will "never" (well, not strictly true, but close enough) impede the flow of items from A to B due to a problem with some unrelated input or output "C".
golfmiketango
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Return to Factorio guide