Change Concrete Recipe to something more 'realistic'

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

TL;DR

What ?
Make Concrete from iron sticks, not iron ore
Why ?
The concrete recipe is already unrealistic, but iron sticks instead of iron ore give the idea of it being 'reinforced', rather than bricks with ore and water mixed together.

Laramy65
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Change Concrete Recipe to something more 'realistic'

Post by Laramy65 »

DRY411S wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:51 am
TL;DR

What ?
Make Concrete from iron sticks, not iron ore
Why ?
The concrete recipe is already unrealistic, but iron sticks instead of iron ore give the idea of it being 'reinforced', rather than bricks with ore and water mixed together.
I like the concrete recipe because it isn't just the matter of plopping it on the bus and being done as it requires iron ore wherever you have that. Adds a bit of complexity, doesn't it. You could move the furnaces out of your base, but you will have to decide what to do with concrete production.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

IRL, (non-reinforced) concrete is made from water, an aggregate like gravel, and a binder (cement, asphalt).
I believe that the aggregate here is iron ore and the binder equivalent is stone bricks (cement needs to be "cooked").
Wube probably didn't pick stone for aggregate because it would make for boring gameplay ?
So your suggestion might actually be less realistic than the current recipe ?

(Sulphur concrete might be a cool alternative though - but then we get reminded of the weirdness in how Factorio's sulphur is made - from petroleum gas, which IRL would be the worst way to get it - AFAIK to be more realistic it would need be separated from the oil in the Refinery itself, or from Heavy Oil, rather than Gaseous Oil.)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

I don't want that because of realism but because belting iron ore to the concrete assemblers is super annoying. There is a mod that changes it to iron sticks and it works pretty great.

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

'Realistic' was an overstatement I agree.

I like the idea of there being more 'chemistry' in the recipe. Perhaps it should also be produced in a chemical plant?

nafira
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nafira »

Actual recipe is actually realistic since you need calcium, silicon and iron oxide to create ciment.
So it's basically stone and iron in Factorio.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Oh, right, what I missed because I didn't search deep enough is that Portland cement is 95% blast-furnace slag - a by-product of smelting iron (& steel) from... iron ore !
P.S.: It would be *very* nice if Factorio had a built-in "Factoriopedia" - I learned quite a bit of history "against my own will" from the Civ4 Civilopedia !
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “Balancing”