Add Extra Despawn Timer to Higher Armour Tiers?

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Add Extra Despawn Timer to Higher Armour Tiers?

Post by eradicator »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:15 pm
Again, you *have* to take multiplayer into account even if only a tiny fraction of player time is spent on it...
You have to take other peoples playstyles into account. Just because "i can just reload in SP" doesn't mean that the game mechanic can't be improved. Actually it means the opposite - if the game mechanic were to punish you in an acceptable way you might not be so tempted to instantly reload. It's all about what amount of punishment the player is willing to accept. Reloading "costs" you immersion and possibly a few minutes of progress/production. Respawning might cost you your inventory and a lot of time walking back there. But if your autosave interval is large (i.e. 15min) and you died relatively close to the spawn point then respawning can be significantly cheaper than reloading. Nobody would would consider reloading in that situation to get "more punishment".
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Freddie Chopin wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:48 pm
what possibly can you have on yourself which you cannot craft back in ~15 minutes?
Easy: A modded high-tier armor that i manually upgraded in mid-game because almost none of the components are automated yet. Could easily take an hour of running around and handcrafting to make a new one from scratch instead of slowly upgrading my old one on-the-go.

But who decides what amount of minutes is "ok" to lose? 15 minutes of not having fun playing a game is still 15 minutes of my life lost. Additionally being expected to waste time on inventory management - the most annoying aspect of the game - is absurd.
Freddie Chopin wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:48 pm
We seem to agree that we disagree (; I cannot understand what type of "game" would that be if you would loose absolutely nothing
Imagine someone sent you off to fetch something at the other end of the town, and when you arrive they tell you someone else already fetched the thing. And when you come back you're asked what you're so upset about - after all you've lost nothing! At least you had something to do! Losing time is *not* losing nothing. That's what the topic is about is it not?

It ultimately boils down to a very fundamental problem of game design/preference: Do you want a game that respects the value of your time (mostly old people)? Or do you want a game that wastes as much of your time as possible so you don't get bored (mostly young people)?

Hrng... certainly wasted too much time on writing this *sigh*.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

Freddie Chopin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Freddie Chopin »

eradicator wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:16 pm
But who decides what amount of minutes is "ok" to lose? 15 minutes of not having fun playing a game is still 15 minutes of my life lost. Additionally being expected to waste time on inventory management - the most annoying aspect of the game - is absurd.
Now we're getting somewhere (; Why should the higher tier armour have extended time of just 10 minutes, a not a whole hour? Or a full day? Or forever?
Losing time is *not* losing nothing. That's what the topic is about is it not?
We're playing a computer game - that is literally "wasting time"...
It ultimately boils down to a very fundamental problem of game design/preference: Do you want a game that respects the value of your time (mostly old people)? Or do you want a game that wastes as much of your time as possible so you don't get bored (mostly young people)?
Then console is your friend - a few commands and you have what you want i no time! (; Can even "win" the game in 30 seconds that way - no time wasted at all (;

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Not sure if you think you're funny now. To me it looks like you ran out of arguments and went into full troll mode if you start denying that games have a meaningful purpose at all (which they do - it's called "recreation"). Guess you successfully killed the topic too - there's no other people participating anymore.

Return to “Balancing”