Previous discussions re: beacon behavior with efficiency modules

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Previous discussions re: beacon behavior with efficiency modules

Post by JasonC »

A discussion about whether or not beacons loaded with efficiency modules should affect themselves seems like it would a) generate a lot of debate and b) have already been had.

Assuming it's already been had, I can't find it.

Has this come up in the past and, if so, does anybody have any links to forum posts about it?

Thanks!!!
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Previous discussions re: beacon behavior with efficiency modules

Post by Honktown »

Efficiency really should effect beacons, or of course reduce pollution (I've seen mods that make them cheaper/more effective). With a 50% power reduction, a machine needs to be at least 960 kW for a single beacon to pay for itself, 480 kW for two machines, 320 kW for three... Assembler 3 uses 375, so you're saving a slight amount of power for three Assembler 3's. Pollution reduction could be good, but all pollution does in vanilla is increase evolution a little and increase the size of biters (density of pollution makes bigger ones spawn). After mid-game, that's completely irrelevant. People have noted that Speed modules are usually more effective at reducing energy/pollution per craft when combined with productivity, so technically, efficiency 2 or 3 modules are not worth it at all on a per-craft basis compared to combining speed and productivity. Making beacons be affected by efficiency would make that aspect more relevant.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

Modules/Beacons math is broken as hell on fundamental level. There is no point in slight tuning like this.

nafira
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nafira »

Honktown wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:45 am
Efficiency really should effect beacons, or of course reduce pollution (I've seen mods that make them cheaper/more effective). With a 50% power reduction, a machine needs to be at least 960 kW for a single beacon to pay for itself, 480 kW for two machines, 320 kW for three... Assembler 3 uses 375, so you're saving a slight amount of power for three Assembler 3's. Pollution reduction could be good, but all pollution does in vanilla is increase evolution a little and increase the size of biters (density of pollution makes bigger ones spawn). After mid-game, that's completely irrelevant. People have noted that Speed modules are usually more effective at reducing energy/pollution per craft when combined with productivity, so technically, efficiency 2 or 3 modules are not worth it at all on a per-craft basis compared to combining speed and productivity. Making beacons be affected by efficiency would make that aspect more relevant.
I agree.
Efficiency modules are useless in almost every case. Speed + productivity Tier 3 is more efficient once max evolution factor is set to 1.
Indeed it cost a lot of energy, but with a good equilibrium between solar and nuclear, you can pass that.

Note that factories are somehow smaller also. Just consumes more and pollutes more.
I've run numbers, and you need to produce 5500 plates on a single electric furnace to cover the total cost of a productivity + speed modules (not taking crude oil in account and electricity, it's nearly infinite).
It's quite easy to achieve.

Return to “Balancing”