The odd case of pre-requisites

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Skadadenca
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

The odd case of pre-requisites

Post by Skadadenca »

Hello, After I saw this bug get reported and fixed, it got me thinking.

There are a few items you can reach without having the technology to make them, most of them revolve around plastics. So should technologies, especially at this point in development be "checks" that the player has the capability to either get the technology researched (Like the techs that require purple science also have Alien Technology as a pre-requisite) or to craft the item(s) the technology provides (the reported bug).
Examples of items you can reach without being able to craft them
Feel free to post more examples if you can find any.

Edit: Wrong research, also some minor touching up.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: The odd case of pre-requisites

Post by bobingabout »

I think Advanced Electronics should probably require plastics. since this science is also required for modules, as well as the circuit being required to make everything in your list (Either directly, or via modules) then this should solve the problem.

Modules does require advanced electronics, right?

Also, assemly 3 should require the speed module tech 1 as sugested, not just modules tech.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Skadadenca
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Skadadenca »

bobingabout wrote:I think Advanced Electronics should probably require plastics. since this science is also required for modules, as well as the circuit being required to make everything in your list (Either directly, or via modules) then this should solve the problem.

Also, assemly 3 should require the speed module tech 1 as sugested, not just modules tech.
I checked in the game, 'Modules' tech requires Advanced Electronics. I'm personally against adding plastics to the pre-requisites of Adv. Electronics because that would delay the point when you could get solar panels by quite a bit. But then again, solar panels are the only thing in Adv. Electronics (apart from the wires and smart chest) which don't require oil processing.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

Skadadenca wrote:
bobingabout wrote:I think Advanced Electronics should probably require plastics. since this science is also required for modules, as well as the circuit being required to make everything in your list (Either directly, or via modules) then this should solve the problem.

I checked in the game, 'Modules' tech requires Advanced Electronics. I'm personally against adding plastics to the pre-requisites of Adv. Electronics because that would delay the point when you could get solar panels by quite a bit. But then again, solar panels are the only thing in Adv. Electronics (apart from the wires and smart chest) which don't require oil processing.
Split off solar panels into a new "solar power" tech.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

immibis wrote:Split off solar panels into a new "solar power" tech.
it already is a solar power tech :P

I think what you mean is change the prerequisite of solar power to not need advanced electronics (since you don't use anything unlocked by it to make solar panels), at the moment its just used to increase the difficulty of solar research SLIGHTLY. if you want to maintain this difficulty, increase the cost of the actual solar research a bit.
I also have a Patreon.

Skadadenca
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Skadadenca »

Hmm, how about making the solar panel tech have Electric Energy Distribution 1 as a pre-requisite instead of Advanced Electronics?

It wouldn't change the costs too much (50/30 seconds of Science Pack 1 & 2 vs 40/15 seconds Science Pack 1 & 2), you still have to research Electronics, and EED 1 has Steel Processing as a pre-requisite, which solar panels need. You can currently (but why would you) reach the Solar Panel technology without having Steel researched.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

sounds good to me.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Balancing”