Biter AI pathing makes game too easy.

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Meggal_Bozale
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Biter AI pathing makes game too easy.

Post by Meggal_Bozale »

orzelek wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:40 pm
Meggal_Bozale wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:57 pm
Zavian wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:23 am
Meggal_Bozale wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:00 pm
There are still scenarios where the biters are RIGHT in front of the turrets, and they just condense into a ball and slowly spindle out. No rocks, no trees, no water. just empty space and turrets,
So post some screenshots and a save, and maybe the devs can address the issue.
If you want an example now, i just got one. THEY DIDNT EVEN TRY.
You are intentionally breaking pathfinding by creating least favorable scenario for it.
Don't be surprised that they are not behaving optimally in that case.

Could they behave differently... maybe. But it's pretty difficult to handle every case especially with pathfinding. Maybe biters should be taught to mass destroy trees in this kind of scenarios to prevent player from abusing trees like that. And when using deep water for similar reason biter corpses in large amounts could change deep water into shallow one to slowly create a "bridge".
I didn't make this scenario. If you want to know, it's Choppy by mewmew, owner of the Comfy servers. They should at least know they are being directly attacked by the player and react.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Biter AI pathing makes game too easy.

Post by mrvn »

orzelek wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:40 pm
Meggal_Bozale wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:57 pm
Zavian wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:23 am
Meggal_Bozale wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:00 pm
There are still scenarios where the biters are RIGHT in front of the turrets, and they just condense into a ball and slowly spindle out. No rocks, no trees, no water. just empty space and turrets,
So post some screenshots and a save, and maybe the devs can address the issue.
If you want an example now, i just got one. THEY DIDNT EVEN TRY.
You are intentionally breaking pathfinding by creating least favorable scenario for it.
Don't be surprised that they are not behaving optimally in that case.

Could they behave differently... maybe. But it's pretty difficult to handle every case especially with pathfinding. Maybe biters should be taught to mass destroy trees in this kind of scenarios to prevent player from abusing trees like that. And when using deep water for similar reason biter corpses in large amounts could change deep water into shallow one to slowly create a "bridge".
This also looks pretty good to me. They are attacking as a group. They try to go around other aliens so more can attack in parallel. They also seem to be advancing so eventually you would get overrun. The second example seems to be a case that works well I think unlike the first.

In the first example the path around the water and through the trees is much to narrow. So only ocasionally a biter does get through. What I think needs to change there is the condition for attacking trees. They should make the path wider so 2 or more aliens can attack the turrets in parallel.
Too a much lesser degree this also applies to the second example. Less because the path is already several aliens wide.

Return to “Balancing”