Recently here were topics about Production (viewtopic.php?t=65846) and Utility (viewtopic.php?t=67307) science packs in 0.17.
This time I would like to state my thoughts on Chemical science pack.
In my oppinion, upgrade from red-green science to blue one is the hardest technological leap during main progression.
Basic oil setup requires :
- Pumpjack outpost
- Chemical plants
- Storage tanks
- Pipe spaghetti
- Long-range delivery (train/pipe/belt)
Summarizing, I see following imbalances :
- After Blue science being automated, purple and yellow aren't very challenging. It is difficulty spike.
- Red circuit alone brings more then enough complexity into recipe. All other ingredients must bu trivial (solid fuel fits very good).
- Why Blue science recipe takes so much time? This 24s are very out of place.
- I think Chemical science doesn't need steel.
In short, I don't like engine in Chemical science pack. It brings excess complexity in forms of steel, crafting time and relatively complex recipe. And it doesn't fit chemical theme.
I understand that recipe needs 3 ingredients, so possible engine replacements are:
- Steam. Alas it make a little sense together with solid fuel.
- 10 pipes. Nearly same amount of raw resources, first high-throughput science ingredient.
- Battery. It is intermediate for other science pack, which is not very good. Also too many production steps.
- Explosives. It's nice. Only possible downside - no iron.
Are you agree that the engine is better to replace?