Balance beacons

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
AlexAegis
Inserter
Inserter

Balance beacons

Post by AlexAegis »

TL;DR
High-end, min-maxed factories look exactly the same, everything 8 beaconed. We should use less beacons but without nerfing them too much.
What ?
I suggest limiting the beacons so each entity can benefit from only a fixed amount of beacons. (For example 2) This can be achieved with a flat limit or a diminishing return. This would mean a huge nerf which I'd compensate by increasing the beacons range and/or allowing them to use much more modules.
Why ?
I don't like seeing the same 8 beaconed setups for every recipe with the same modules, having less, but more powerful beacons means more diverse factories while still benefiting the smaller entity count.

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Balance beacons

Post by Sad_Brother »

This would result in the same N beaconed setups for every recipe with the same modules.

Not limit usage. Expand diversity.

Nasabot
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nasabot »

I dont like beacons at all, because

-they remove depth from the module system
-idle production is a waste of energy
-they look ugly

I suggest

-remove beacons and introduce high end assembler with even more modules slots (5? 6? 8?)
or
-introduce a "multiblock system" so that assembler and beacons CONNECT with each other (similar to the reactors) which changes the assemblers stats and/or change their max module slots. With such a system 3 beacons can be added to 1 assembler.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Nasabot wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:00 pm
introduce a "multiblock system" so that assembler and beacons CONNECT with each other (similar to the reactors) which changes the assemblers stats and/or change their max module slots. With such a system 3 beacons can be added to 1 assembler.
That might be an interesting idea. I wonder whether it could be be implemented as a mod?

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

I think the best way is to remove beacons and to create something new instead, if needed. Beacons don't fit the game and are too broken to be repaired with some moderate fixes.
Along with the removal of the beacons, I'd start by reworking the modules. They don't work very well now. Not broken, but definitely can be greatly improved.

nafira
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nafira »

Sad_Brother wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:03 pm
This would result in the same N beaconed setups for every recipe with the same modules.

Not limit usage. Expand diversity.
I totally agree, this is a short minded solution.
If you want different setup, there's only one method : complexity.
Nasabot wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:00 pm
I dont like beacons at all, because

-they remove depth from the module system ==>No
-idle production is a waste of energy ==>Neither, just control it with power switch
-they look ugly ==> I totally agree :D

I suggest

-remove beacons and introduce high end assembler with even more modules slots (5? 6? 8?) ==>Then you'll have a problem with productivity modules
or
-introduce a "multiblock system" so that assembler and beacons CONNECT with each other (similar to the reactors) which changes the assemblers stats and/or change their max module slots. With such a system 3 beacons can be added to 1 assembler.
Your multiblock system, to reproduce Nuclear system, is not bad but can't be reproduce that way, for the same reason you can add productivity modules.
But its a way to explore.

This kind of balancing is really not simple.

Return to “Balancing”