All turrets should require circuits

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Jeeto
Inserter
Inserter

All turrets should require circuits

Post by Jeeto »

For something to automatically aim and shoot at enemies, it needs to be somewhat smart or have motion detection or something that would run on a chip of some sort. I don't think you can just put some steel on some gears and have it work so well lol it should need at least a single green circuit.

CJ5Boss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: All turrets should require circuits

Post by CJ5Boss »

The only thing I think is, if going by this logic, all turrets would also need power. The purpose of the gun turret is to not use power, so it does not use electronic circuits.

Ace_W
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ace_W »

CJ5Boss wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:39 pm
The only thing I think is, if going by this logic, all turrets would also need power. The purpose of the gun turret is to not use power, so it does not use electronic circuits.

we have magic eternal unpowered transport belts.... and your complaining about unpowered turrets?

I do agree with OP though. maybe as a replacement for copper in the recipe for the turret. raises the base price a bit though.
"No! This one goes there! That one goes There! Right?!"

CJ5Boss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CJ5Boss »

Ace_W wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:50 pm
CJ5Boss wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:39 pm

we have magic eternal unpowered transport belts.... and your complaining about unpowered turrets?

I do agree with OP though. maybe as a replacement for copper in the recipe for the turret. raises the base price a bit though.
I'm not complaining, just explaining why the gun turret does not require electronic circuits! In fact, I'm quite happy they don't require it.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

They are not require electronic circuits while they don't need electric energy.

Zool
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zool »

As the gun turret is your very first base defence, even before you have built electric power, its a balancing thing that they only require the most basic materials for construction.

If you add more complex materials, especially starter players might quickly become overwhelmed by the biters.

For later game, people usually switch to laser turrets for convenience, which require the more advanced materials to be built.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

It's nice that gun turrets don't need energy, but is it really critical for the game? It boggles the mind to wonder how you can generate enough pollution to suffer biter attacks, yet not have a single steam engine in your base.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

bobucles wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:06 pm
It's nice that gun turrets don't need energy, but is it really critical for the game? It boggles the mind to wonder how you can generate enough pollution to suffer biter attacks, yet not have a single steam engine in your base.
You could build an awful lot of burner drills and stone furnaces. That can create enough pollution. But unless you are playing with mods, you can't research gun turrets without power.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

you can't research gun turrets without power.
Wow, I totally forgot about that. So bases absolutely 100% need to have power before turrets can even exist.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense that gun turrets don't need power.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

bobucles wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:39 pm
you can't research gun turrets without power.
Wow, I totally forgot about that. So bases absolutely 100% need to have power before turrets can even exist.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense that gun turrets don't need power.
It makes a lot of sense.
If your power plant is destroyed or out of coal they are your last resort.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Tairon96
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tairon96 »

Might be a good idea on purpose of realism ... but I don't know if all good ideas concerning realism are good ideas for a game.

For example none of the inserters or assembly machines need electronic engines. How is the electrical energy converted into motion, hmmm?

And I have not seen an internal combustion engine in real life which does not need any lubricant.

In a RL factory all kinds of machines (moulding cutter, drills, moulding press, ... )
consumes lubricant and cooling oils like crazy. In Factorio ? Nothing.

An electric engine which does not need much more copper than an combustion engine is also very strange.

No waste management, no mining rubble, no rejected goods, no random machine failure, ... etc.
___

Solution for all these problems and for the OP's problem ...
It's a game and it may be situated in an alternative universe
;)
Radar : Damnit, we are surrounded! :o
Artillery : Great, now I can attack in every direction! :D
_
languages

pleegwat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by pleegwat »

Tairon96 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:49 pm
And I have not seen an internal combustion engine in real life which does not need any lubricant.
Since they can run on wood, coal, and solid fuel, they're probably external heat engines.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

If your power plant is destroyed or out of coal they are your last resort.
Yeah, that's fair. Biters can get pretty nasty once they do some damage. If your entire defense grid shut down a bad time would snowball into a disaster.

I still think it's kinda funny how turrets are powered by sheer bloodlust but it does give them a real advantage over lasers.

Return to “Balancing”