Research changes

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
roothorick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Research changes

Post by roothorick »

This takes into consideration changes that were stated to be happening in FFF.
Eliminate Automation 1
Instead, give the basic assembler recipe to the player at the start of the game.

Being forced to hand-craft 10 red science in a game that is so heavily focused on automation strikes me as more than a little silly. This could also set a bad precedent for new players (hand-crafting should be discouraged in general).

Automation 2 and 3 would be renamed to Advanced Automation and Advanced Automation 2, respectively, for the sake of consistency.
Make green science a research as well
It would depend on Advanced Automation. This is also about discouraging hand crafting (because AM1s cannot make inserters). Technologies requiring green science that don't have prerequisites reliant on green science would require this research.
Additional dependencies based on recipe requirements
For example, Electric Energy Distribution 2 should depend on Advanced Electronics. Players already can "look ahead" and see researches they don't have the requirements for; having additional dependencies like this makes it a little more obvious what they need to accomplish something.
Move roboport, requester chest, and provider chest to the generic Robotics research
As far as I know, there are no other unlocks in the game that can come from one of two researches, so this is a little inconsistent. Moving it to the "root" Robotics research makes a lot of sense, even if you can't use them just yet. This reinforces that both kinds of bots use the same roboports and chests.
Make Uranium Processing its own research
Its requirements would be what Nuclear power is now -- Advanced Electronics and Concrete. It would unlock the centrifuge and the uranium processing recipe. Kovarex Enrichment Process, Atomic Bomb, and Uranium Ammo would depend on Uranium Processing instead of Nuclear Power. Nuclear Power itself would depend only on Uranium Processing.

It makes logical sense, and would be a slight shortcut for those that don't want to invest in nuclear plants.
"Almost Infinite" researches
These require space science, of course, and requirements scale at a similar rate to "true" infinite research. Yes, these are cheesy, but very high levels of current infinite research are already cheesy. The caps would be usually well past level 100.
  • Braking Force. At cap, trains stop instantly from full speed. (This would be hilarious to watch.)
  • Inserter Capacity Bonus. At cap, stack inserters move an entire stack of anything (+198 bonus) at once unless limited. Normal inserters would get a +1 at every five levels above the current cap of level 7. This means, even at cap, non-stack inserters are always significantly inferior to stack inserters, so you don't have a situation where fast inserters replace stack inserters.
  • Lab research speed. At cap, labs complete an entire cycle in a single tick.
  • Worker Robot Cargo Size. At cap, robots can carry an entire stack of anything (+199 bonus).
On a side note: How does the game handle the case where a shooting speed research is so high it should result in more than one shot per tick? It's odd to me that these aren't capped at 1/tick.

Jeeto
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Research changes

Post by Jeeto »

I kinda don't like using robots (but that's cause I'm very new to the game still and are enjoying doing everything by hand). I'm sure once I want to start doing 100+ SPM or launching multiple rockets I would need robots to keep up with things, but for the time being I'm having a blast just planning out all my construction with graph paper and Excel and then getting into the game and creating it and seeing how it runs, and then trying again. I probably need to use some kind of planner mod instead, because I hate getting attacked by biters while half my base is offline while I'm rebuilding a part of it lol but I guess that makes me hardcore

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I can comfirm that the tech tree has had a full overhaul for 0.17. Many technologies have been split up, and several dependancies changed, even a couple of technologies removed.

As for what exactly, you'll find out when it releases soon.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

bobingabout wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:57 am
I can comfirm that the tech tree has had a full overhaul for 0.17. Many technologies have been split up, and several dependancies changed, even a couple of technologies removed.

As for what exactly, you'll find out when it releases soon.
As i am quite happy with factorio i hope the devs relaise at least a picture of the new tree. Would be a very nice chrismas present......

I just wait for the 0.17 to get a hand at the lazy bastard in conjuction with a raining-bullet and steam all the way-challenge on a brand new map....

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

I definitely agree with the first two points; Discouraging hand-crafting is a pretty good goal. Alternately, make a level-0 Burner Assembler, before you get the electric one. I know there's a few mods that do this, but I think it should be in the base game, again to discourage hand-crafting.

mrudat
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mrudat »

roothorick wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:01 pm
On a side note: How does the game handle the case where a shooting speed research is so high it should result in more than one shot per tick? It's odd to me that these aren't capped at 1/tick.
There's a comment on cooldown between attacks that suggests if the cooldown is less than a tick, you fire multiple times per tick; not sure how that's supposed to work out in-game, but, that's what the comment says.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Being forced to hand-craft 10 red science in a game that is so heavily focused on automation strikes me as more than a little silly.
Hand crafting 10 red science isn't too bad.
Hand crafting 100 red science because you turned on 10x science is brutal.
Never again.

boran_blok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by boran_blok »

I really like the idea of a burner assembler. This would make 10x or 100x science runs somewhat viable.

Return to “Balancing”