Increase SIZE of single oil patch

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Increase SIZE of single oil patch

Post by Avezo »

Problem:
Setting up an outpost for 50+ pumpjacks is tedious.

Suggestion:
Increase size of single oil patch to 5x5 or even 7x7, increase yield from such patch and reduce their overall amount per field. You have HD model for pumpjack so it should be easy to scale it up, right?

Why:
Games are for fun stuff, not for tedious stuff.
Last edited by Avezo on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Increase SIZE of single oil patch

Post by Tekky »

Related (but not identical) suggestion thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56449 Give pumpjacks mining range!

In a previous patch, the number of oil patches has been reduced, but their output has been increased to compensate. This could be done again, if necessary.

I see no advantage in instead making oil patches multi-tile.

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

Tekky wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:16 pm
Related (but not identical) suggestion thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56449 Give pumpjacks mining range!

In a previous patch, the number of oil patches has been reduced, but their output has been increased to compensate. This could be done again, if necessary.

I see no advantage in instead making oil patches multi-tile.
Fun fact is, it was my own thread you've linked :)
Well, it was seemingly ignored, so I've come with yet another idea.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Ah, I didn't notice. :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

oil patches are already effectively a 3x3.

Also, it isn't as simple as just making the mining area bigger, look at how ore miners behave. They pick a spot and mine it for a bit, then change spot.

Since pumpjacks are basically just mining drills that return a fluid instead of an item, if you extend the range of a pumpjack then it will behave the same way, pick an oil patch, mine it for a few cycles, then pick another. you gain nothing from covering more than 1 oil patch.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

@bobingabout
I think you've misunderstood me - What I am suggesting is to increase size of both oil patch and pumpjack, effectively it would be still 1 pumpjack per 1 oil field, just less oil patches per entire oil field because they would be bigger.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Avezo wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:21 pm
@bobingabout
I think you've misunderstood me - What I am suggesting is to increase size of both oil patch and pumpjack, effectively it would be still 1 pumpjack per 1 oil field, just less oil patches per entire oil field because they would be bigger.
Seems rather pointless and bad. That would make simple pump jacks larger than huge and complex oil refineries. Just doesn't with with reality. It's just a pump, it shouldn't be big. Also you would still have 50 pump jacks in your oil field for the same amount of oil. Just now it would be twice as large, require double the pipes and 4 times as much walking around. No way.

Isn't what you really want just fewer oil patches per field with higher throughput?

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Avezo wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:10 pm
Suggestion:
Increase size of single oil patch to 5x5 or even 7x7, increase yield from such patch and reduce their overall amount per field.
Why not mod request? If the mod will be helpful, then it has much more chance to go into vanilla.

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:40 pm
Also you would still have 50 pump jacks in your oil field for the same amount of oil.
(...)
Isn't what you really want just fewer oil patches per field with higher throughput?
I think you missed this part from the first post:
Avezo wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:10 pm
increase yield from such patch and reduce their overall amount per field
-
darkfrei wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:54 pm
Why not mod request? If the mod will be helpful, then it has much more chance to go into vanilla.
I consider purpose of mods to be expanding gameplay, not fixing tedious stuff. Besides, they already know map generation is crappy.

Jeeto
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Jeeto »

I think just adding injector pumps to a nearby depleted one should re-pressurize and restore the output of everything around it for a little while. Maybe through an "Enhanced Oil Recovery" research

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Jeeto wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:13 pm
I think just adding injector pumps to a nearby depleted one should re-pressurize and restore the output of everything around it for a little while. Maybe through an "Enhanced Oil Recovery" research
So in each field you would sacrifice one well to spruce up the others? I like it.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Jeeto wrote:
Not exactly that way, but here it a mod for it
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/HydraulicPumpjacks

Jeeto
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Jeeto »

darkfrei wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:10 pm
Jeeto wrote:
Not exactly that way, but here it a mod for it
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/HydraulicPumpjacks
Yeah, water injection where instead of a pumpjack that pulls oil out it pushes water in and then all the nearby normal pumpjacks have increased production for a limited amount of time (maybe for an additional 30% of original oil in place, what we in the oil industry call OOIP). You might then have a mix of oil and water coming out and will need a chemical plant to separate the two. Just another option to use with or without those beacons and modules.

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

Another way to reduce the tedium of setting up oil outposts, would be to force all oil patches in the world to align to a grid, and give enough space between them to always have room for pipes. Then you could shift-click + run, to place multiple pumps, or make a blueprint for the later game. Right now (unless it's changed since I played last), you need to hand-place every pump, because 1) they don't line up in a nice way, and 2) there's often two pumps right beside each other, forcing you to put the pipes in weird angles.

Return to “Balancing”