Why rails recipe don't have wood in it?

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
benaiu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by benaiu »

Hi people, this is my first post in this forum.

The recipe may be changing iron sticks for wood logs
I think that this recipe can make use of all that wood that usually get in the way of every vanilla base, and save some iron, which is always good

Corrections are welcome as i'm not from an english speaking country.
Hablo español
and a little english

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Why rails recipe don't have wood in it?

Post by Loewchen »

Because that would require a way to automate wood harvesting which is not trivial if you want it to look at least halfway decent and unless you break up all the recipe tree to incorporate wood into other recipes as well, all you have done, is make trains less attractive because rails now require a base material logistic chain that has no purpose in the rest of the game.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

I don't want another concrete that takes 1 of something that is literally only used for this 1 product.

benaiu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by benaiu »

Loewchen wrote:Because that would require a way to automate wood harvesting which is not trivial if you want it to look at least halfway decent and unless you break up all the recipe tree to incorporate wood into other recipes as well, all you have done, is make trains less attractive because rails now require a base material logistic chain that has no purpose in the rest of the game.
I was looking at the problem from a perspective of - i have steel in my inventory, and i can get wood on my way to point B -.Not from the automation point of view, that can be difficult, but at the end lead to other ways of getting wood, like for example: make the impacted trees drop wood on the floor like rocks.
why is necessary to "break up all the recipe tree"? i'm talking just about changing rails.
About "all you have done, is make trains less attractive because rails now require a base material logistic chain that has no purpose in the rest of the game" are you trying to convince me that iron sticks have more uses than rails?
Hablo español
and a little english

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

One of Angels or Bobs mods add wooden rails to the game. They have wooden beams to hold the rails instead of cement, are easier to reserach but also slower.

But with Angels and Bobs you also have ways to make wood automatically.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

benaiu wrote: why is necessary to "break up all the recipe tree"? i'm talking just about changing rails.
Because otherwise "(...) all you have done, is make trains less attractive because rails now require a base material logistic chain that has no purpose in the rest of the game."
benaiu wrote:About "all you have done, is make trains less attractive because rails now require a base material logistic chain that has no purpose in the rest of the game" are you trying to convince me that iron sticks have more uses than rails?
Iron sticks are not a base material, iron ore is, and the logistic chain for iron ore is the first you ever build when starting a game. Though there will not be a logistic chain for wood yet "(...) unless you break up all the recipe tree to incorporate wood into other recipes as well" so you would have to build it solely to produce rails, which is the reason why this would "(...) make trains less attractive (...)" which is the answer to:

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

i would like to see wood for rails, with the option to have concrete for rails.
lots of worlds i've played in we are swimming in wood.
having the option for concrete would help those that don't want to harvest trees.

[edit] maybe make it a world gen option for those that may not want this.

fiery_salmon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fiery_salmon »

impetus maximus wrote:maybe make it a world gen option for those that may not want this.
making "wood in rail recipe" an ideal candidate for a mod.

Major advantage of mod support is that it removes need for adding twenty billion settings.

For many reasons "just add a setting to toggle the feature" is usually a bad solution.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

If you want to make the foundation more realistic to todays standards then the recipy should be:
- Steel (Rails)
- Stone (Ballast)
- Bricks or Concrete (Sleepers)

Using wood for sleepers has been done, but in Factorio vanilla, wood is a finite resource. Requiring it for rails would require a way to continuously replenish it. Modern rail mainly uses concrete sleepers. Probably cause using heavily treated tropical hardwood for rail laying doesn't go over well with the ecowarriors. Not that we have those in Factorio...

benaiu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by benaiu »

Loewchen wrote:
benaiu wrote: why is necessary to "break up all the recipe tree"? i'm talking just about changing rails.
Because otherwise "(...) all you have done, is make trains less attractive because rails now require a base material logistic chain that has no purpose in the rest of the game."
if trains are not attractive enough, isn't because of things like this, it's because of cargo wagon capacity, unload speed, rail curvature limitations ... and i can keep going. What i'm proposing is just a minor change.
Loewchen wrote:
benaiu wrote:About "all you have done, is make trains less attractive because rails now require a base material logistic chain that has no purpose in the rest of the game" are you trying to convince me that iron sticks have more uses than rails?
Iron sticks are not a base material, iron ore is, and the logistic chain for iron ore is the first you ever build when starting a game. Though there will not be a logistic chain for wood yet "(...) unless you break up all the recipe tree to incorporate wood into other recipes as well" so you would have to build it solely to produce rails, which is the reason why this would "(...) make trains less attractive (...)" which is the answer to:
The idea was not mounting another logistic chain in the first place: you get wood by hand, like it used to be with alien technology. instead of hunting aliens, hunt trees.
Hablo español
and a little english

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

But the whole idea of Factorio is to -not- do stuff by hand. Rule number one of Factorio: The answer to every problem is "Automate it".

Your suggestion moves away from that core concept. Which is why I feel it is a bad idea.

Return to “Balancing”