Electric pumps shouldn't pollute

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Electric pumps shouldn't pollute

Post by Zavian »

I think there is an argument that they should. But there is also an argument that the extra cpu cycles to generate pollution for every inserter simply aren't justified. Most players use many more inserters than pumps, and most inserters are used adjacent to assemblers or smelters that already output significant amounts of pollution. Rail stations are a notable exception, but even then the station is normally in the pollution cloud of nearby miners or assemblers. So from a gameplay perspective the benefits may not be worth the cpu cycle for 1000s of inserters. But there is something else that is also outside the production tab that I think should generate pollution. The rocket silo. (You could also make the argument that the silo belongs in the production tab).

Now it is your turn. Please come up with a reason why the electric pump shouldn't pollute. So far your only argument has been that everything else that produces pollution is in the production tab, so pumps shouldn't produce pollution. I've pointed out that I consider that irrelevant, and that items aren't sorted into tabs based on whether they produce pollution, but by the devs opinions on what is a logical grouping. (Some of the items are placed based on "best available fit", rather than "definitely belongs in this tab". Where does the programmable speaker or the light belong? Well with circuit wires and combinators is the best available category, even though they have nothing to do with moving items or players).

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Electric pumps shouldn't pollute

Post by dood »

Zavian wrote:Please come up with a reason why the electric pump shouldn't pollute.
I've never used pumps nor have I seen them used in the fashion that you describe in which they are laid out through biter territory outside your base undefended and outside of the pollution cloud of your production facility that attracts biters anyway.
If your argument against inserter pollution is "not worth the cpu cycles, it wouldn't matter" then the same is certainly applicable to pumps.

Also consistency.
For some items the categorization in the tabs is arbitrary.
Pumps are no such item. There is no confusion at all that those things are inserters for fluids.
Zavian wrote:But there is something else that is also outside the production tab that I think should generate pollution. The rocket silo. (You could also make the argument that the silo belongs in the production tab).
It should.
Rocket parts per minute even show up in the productions tab, there's nothing "solar" or "green" about its concept and you don't have thousands of rocket silos.

Return to “Balancing”