Flying Robot Frame should require plastic instead of steel

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Slayn25
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Flying Robot Frame should require plastic instead of steel

Post by Slayn25 »

Flying Robot Frame
Current recipe:
2 batteries
1 electric engine unit
3 electronic circuit
1 steel plate

Suggested recipe:
2 batteries
1 electric engine unit
3 electronic circuit
5? plastic bars

Reasons plastic is a better fit than steel
1. Bots need to be light to fly
2. Bots are weak
3. Shifts demand from Iron to oil/coal

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Flying Robot Frame should require plastic instead of steel

Post by eradicator »

Plastic is already used in huge quantities for red/blue chips. And cargo arms made from plastic would break under the weight of carrying an assembler, or even an oil refinery :P

Slayn25
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Slayn25 »

eradicator wrote:-1

Plastic is already used in huge quantities for red/blue chips. And cargo arms made from plastic would break under the weight of carrying an assembler, or even an oil refinery :P
Iron is used in equal quantities for red chips and greater quantities for blue chips, but you got me with the other point (-;
Last edited by Slayn25 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Depends what type of plastic it is.

I don't think it's a bad change, I just wouldn't go as high as 5 bars. maybe 2 or 3.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Flying robot frames currently require:
  • 2 batteries
    1 electric engine
    3 green circuits
    1 steel
The materials required to make that are:
  • 9.5 copper
    21.8 iron (10 -> 2 steel)
    140 water
    150 crude oil (basic oil processing, 150 -> 60 petrolium gas, 50 -> 15 heavy oil, excess 30 heavy oil and 45 light oil)
With the proposed change (let's say 3 plastic):
  • 9.5 copper
    16.8 iron (5 -> 1 steel)
    140 water
    225 crude oil (basic oil processing, 225 -> 90 petrolium gas, 50 -> 15 heavy oil, excess 30 heavy oil and 45 light oil)
    1.5 coal
You're increasing the oil required by 50%, adding a little coal, and decreasing the iron by ~20%. I'm not sure which would be better by way of balancing.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Slayn25
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Slayn25 »

Jap2.0 wrote:Flying robot frames currently require:
  • 2 batteries
    1 electric engine
    3 green circuits
    1 steel
  • 9.5 copper
    140 water
    150 crude oil (basic oil processing, 150 -> 60 petrolium gas, 50 -> 15 heavy oil, excess 30 heavy oil and 45 light oil)
  • 9.5 copper
    16.8 iron (5 -> 1 steel)
    140 water
    225 crude oil (basic oil processing, 225 -> 90 petrolium gas, 50 -> 15 heavy oil, excess 30 heavy oil and 45 light oil)
    1.5 coal
You're increasing the oil required by 50%, adding a little coal, and decreasing the iron by ~20%. I'm not sure which would be better by way of balancing.
Flying Robot Frames are late game so I'd say Advanced Oil Processing or Coal liquefaction would be a more realistic comparison.

Advanced Oil Processing w/ Cracking
5 iron ore > 3 plastic bars = 1.5 Coal + ~33 oil

Coal Liquefaction w/ Cracking
5 iron ore > 3 plastic bars = ~10 Coal

Bots are a late game item so from a gameplay perspective imo it fits better that you'd have to ramp up your plastic production instead of steel since plastic is a later resource than steel.
Plus in the late game power gets switched from coal to solar/nuclear which makes coal only good for plastic and liquefaction.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Slayn25 wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:Flying robot frames currently require:
  • 2 batteries
    1 electric engine
    3 green circuits
    1 steel
  • 9.5 copper
    140 water
  • 9.5 copper
    16.8 iron (5 -> 1 steel)
    140 water
    1.5 coal
Flying Robot Frames are late game so I'd say Advanced Oil Processing or Coal liquefaction would be a more realistic comparison.

Advanced Oil Processing w/ Cracking
5 iron ore > 3 plastic bars = 1.5 Coal + ~33 oil

Coal Liquefaction w/ Cracking
5 iron ore > 3 plastic bars = ~10 Coal

Bots are a late game item so from a gameplay perspective imo it fits better that you'd have to ramp up your plastic production instead of steel since plastic is a later resource than steel.
Plus in the late game power gets switched from coal to solar/nuclear which makes coal only good for plastic and liquefaction.
Yes, adv. oil/coal liquification would have probably been better. That was just me being lazy. Even though they are on the exact same page on the wiki. Also, there was some wrong information on the original. I also semi-automated this, in the spirit of Factorio. Here's a better comparison:
  • Basic Oil Processing

140 water
    225 crude oil (petrolium gas bottleneck)

Basic Oil Processing (with cracking)

215 water
    130 crude oil (petrolium gas bottleneck)

Advanced Oil Processing

140 water
    163 63/99 crude oil (petrolium gas bottleneck)

Advanced Oil Processing (with cracking)

282.5 water (with all excess cracked - minimal cracking would require less water)
    150 crude oil (heavy oil bottleneck)
I'm out of time to continue at the moment, and coal liquification will be annoying to calculate, but if you want that as well let me know.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Honestly, it doesn't bother me a whole lot. both options are red/green science level to build the frame.

And robots aren't exactly late game items, sure it might be late game before you get to the point where you can make a logistics network in your base, but you're supposed to be able to use robots for construction, or bring items to the player long before then.

Either way, there isn't really a difficulty change, because you still need batteries and advanced circuits to make the roboport (I think, it's been too long, definitely one of the robots, I don't really play without my mods so I've forgotten what base game looks like), it just uses more oil and less steel, but oil is infinite, so what does it matter?
The addition of coal might be a slight issue, but you're trading iron for LESS coal.

It works.

And then my MK2 robot replaces it with aluminium, so either way you're looking at it, you're either replacing steel because it's too heavy, or replacing the plastic because it's not strong enough. so it still works there too.
Last edited by bobingabout on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I also have a Patreon.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

I'm not really sure why the robot frame requires circuits. The frame is just an empty husk that doesn't do anything. The bots don't get any brains until the next recipe, where it is programmed into either a construction bot (2 greens) or a logistic bot (2 reds).

I do think the robot frame should require an inserter arm. After all inserters are the de facto "grabs things" of Factorio and it makes sense that a robot frame is basically a flying inserter.

So modifying the recipe I would recommend
before

Code: Select all

2 battery
1 electric engine
3 circuit
1 steel
after

2 battery
1 electric engine
1 fast inserter
The total recipe cost is actually nearly the same. The before cost is 3 circuits + 1 steel(5 iron), while a fast inserter costs 3 circuit, 1 gear and 3 plate (5 iron). In expensive mode this represents a slight cost reduction as 1 steel costs 10 iron, while 1 gear +3 plate is 7 iron.
I don't mind if the overall bot recipe is made cheaper (It might fit well with a bot nerf hint hint) so the fast inserter could also be a normal inserter. This would reduce the recipe cost by 2 circuits and 2 plate for either game mode.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

bobucles wrote:I'm not really sure why the robot frame requires circuits. The frame is just an empty husk that doesn't do anything. The bots don't get any brains until the next recipe, where it is programmed into either a construction bot (2 greens) or a logistic bot (2 reds).

I do think the robot frame should require an inserter arm. After all inserters are the de facto "grabs things" of Factorio and it makes sense that a robot frame is basically a flying inserter.

before

2 battery
1 electric engine
3 circuit
1 steel
after

2 battery
1 electric engine
1 fast inserter
The total recipe cost is actually nearly the same. The before cost is 3 circuits + 1 steel(5 iron), while a fast inserter costs 3 circuit, 1 gear and 3 plate (5 iron). In expensive mode this represents a slight cost reduction as 1 steel costs 10 iron, while 1 gear +3 plate is 7 iron.
I don't mind if the overall bot recipe is made cheaper (It might fit well with a bot nerf hint hint) so the fast inserter could also be a normal inserter. This would reduce the recipe cost by 2 circuits and 2 plate for either game mode.
I'd probably end up reverting that in my mod, because you build a "Tool", which is effectively an inserter arm as part of building the robot phase.
Plus combat robots cost a frame too.
I also have a Patreon.

lottery248
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lottery248 »

i think that the recipe for bots should be balanced too, but must be equal. plastic alone is very questionable here, we don't even know which kind of plastic factorio itself is defined (hard or soft? flexibility?). why not replacing 3 green circuit by a red one compared to the current?

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

That would almost be as annoying as the iron ore required in concrete.

benaiu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by benaiu »

bobucles wrote:I'm not really sure why the robot frame requires circuits. The frame is just an empty husk that doesn't do anything. The bots don't get any brains until the next recipe, where it is programmed into either a construction bot (2 greens) or a logistic bot (2 reds).

before

2 battery
1 electric engine
3 circuit
1 steel
after

2 battery
1 electric engine
1 fast inserter
I like this idea.
Hablo español
and a little english

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

Steel actually has an excellent strength-to-weight ratio, better than plastic. A bot with thin steel appendages = very light yet still sturdy. Aluminum steel is boss for strength to weight ratio. Airplanes are largely made from aluminum steels.

Return to “Balancing”