Assembling Machines

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Assembling Machines

Post by dog80 »

- Increase production time for all of the assembling machines to 2-4 seconds.
- at the moment with .5s when using the recipe to set a requester chest it creates absurd large amounts ( i ment the requested materials, not the output of products sry) for a product that is not needed very often. e.g. smelter t3 has 5 seconds of crafting time and there the requested ressources are acceptable. ( when using right click to paste at requester chest )

sry for pos. dublicate didnt check

+Radars/Train Stations also have .5 seconds production Time
Last edited by dog80 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Assembling Machines

Post by bobingabout »

I can't disagree with this at all.

most other entity based items have had the crafting time increased from 0.5 over the years.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

I fully agree.
0.5 seconds is fine for intermediates or other mass produced items like rails. All entities should have at least 2 seconds.

However this has nothing to do with OP's argument about overproducing stuff. You can easily fine tune this by limiting chests or setting up filter inserter output limiter by connecting it to output chest and setting proper amount.

Higher recipe times will kinda guide a player to automate these as currently player does not even think about automating assembling machines from the start and craft them by hand up until something like Mall.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Honestly, I would say it would be better to increase the recipe crafting times for all finished products to at least 2sec or more. Exactly for this reason:
PacifyerGrey wrote:Higher recipe times will kinda guide a player to automate these as currently player does not even think about automating assembling machines from the start and craft them by hand up until something like Mall.

PacifyerGrey wrote:0.5 seconds is fine for intermediates or other mass produced items like rails. All entities should have at least 2 seconds.

However this has nothing to do with OP's argument about overproducing stuff. You can easily fine tune this by limiting chests or setting up filter inserter output limiter by connecting it to output chest and setting proper amount.
However I can't agree on the part of the intermediate items.

I have to say that 0.5 seconds for intermediate items is utter bullshit as well, especially for recipes like Copper Cable and Electronic Circuits. Between beaconized setups it renders inserter bottlenecks an absolute nightmare because they can't swing/load fast enough to keep up with the recipe speed. It is already hard at the limit to input from requester chests using bots, inputting from belts is rather impossible. Somehow there shouldn't be a situation in Vanilla where even Stack Inserters become bottlenecked because crafting speeds are so insane.

I would go so far to say that Copper Cables and Electronic Circuits (as well as all other intermediates like Gears, Sticks etc) should probably be increased to at least 1 sec as well, if not more to remove the inserter bottleneck.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

I kind of always assumed 0.5 seconds was programmer shorthand for "fix this in the balance pass right before 1.0"

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

The assembly machine recipe is brutally hungry on resources. I wouldn't mind it being given a real crafting time.

It's tough to say if wire and green circuits need a time change. It's true that an ultimate beacon build sends these crafting speeds into FTL territory. But you don't actually NEED a super beacon build. Wires can be dunked directly into GC, keeping the direct inserter access where it's needed most. The main weakness is that GC assemblers are also a resource hungry recipe overall. They quickly consume all the resources on a normal belt.

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hedning1390 »

I think it is cool to have things that can eat large numbers of resources, like a black hole where several belts terminate on a ring of inserters. I am very sad to see them removed from purple science as the assembler assembler was a main attraction there.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

So... the issue is that you can't figure out how to throttle input or output? A simple circuit connection between inserter and active provider chest filled by said inserter, combined with an "Enabled if Assembler < 10" makes sure such assembler factories don't start filling a chest into infinity. Add a buffer chest that requests those items back to it so that any deconstruction returns to that buffer, and you've got a fairly sweet setup.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

That seems more of a problem with copypasting recipes on requester chests which, I agree, is kind of crap and I wish it went back to just 2x the resources or have some sort of option to adjust it yourself.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

dood wrote:That seems more of a problem with copypasting recipes on requester chests which, I agree, is kind of crap and I wish it went back to just 2x the resources or have some sort of option to adjust it yourself.
i find it quite usefull because the requested ressources scale also when using speed modules etc... the only problem is when things have short crafting times.

Return to “Balancing”