Barreling/Unbarreling recipes need larger output buffer

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Vegemeister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Barreling/Unbarreling recipes need larger output buffer

Post by Vegemeister »

With the new lower density barrels, 10 barrels of output buffer is not enough for heavily beaconed assemblers. It's even smaller than the stack inserter stack size. I was only able to approach full throughput by using 2 output inserters and making them run 180° out of phase with a clock signal.

Perhaps the assembler buffer sizes (both output and input) should be varied automatically to buffer a particular running time, say 2 seconds, the same way copy/pasting to requester chests works now.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Barreling/Unbarreling recipes need larger output buffer

Post by bobingabout »

This is something I've noticed all round the game. For example, in my mod, I put 6 god MK5 modules in an assembly mark 6 making transistors. there's 2 different inserters inserting 2 different sets of the required ingredients to speed up the inserting, and 3 inserters pulling items out. These are my mod's express inserters too, running at twice the speed of the fast inserters (though I should be using express stack inserters, anyhoo.
Normally I wouldn't make a single factory work so hard, but I needed extra throughput and slamming in 6 god modules felt easier. obviously it wasn't. This is just my testing savegame, and I was trying to figure out why I had no... my version of the processing unit.

Basically, those 3 output inserters are running at full speed, the inputs fill out the input and stop, the factory then zips for about half a second and then stops as the output buffer is full, then when the output buffer empties a little, the inputs start again.

The output inserters do obviously need to be faster in my particular situation, so this isn't the best example. The stop start is literally every half a second, because the output buffer is limited to a single stack size.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Barreling/Unbarreling recipes need larger output buffer

Post by McDuff »

Where is the amount of items in a buffer stored? Is it a per-recipe number?

Return to “Balancing”