[0.16] Catalysts and productivity

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
mestoris
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.16] Catalysts and productivity

Post by mestoris »

viewtopic.php?t=51654
viewtopic.php?t=44635

0.16 now adjusts production statistics to avoid double-counting catalysts. This is the same math necessary to make productivity modules work fairly with Kovarex enrichment and coal liquefaction. Can productivity modules work with those recipes again?

More specifically: When the productivity bonus triggers, the game should deduct catalysts from the bonus output.

For example: The productivity bonus for Kovarex enrichment should be 1 U-235. That's the normal output of 41 U-235 and 2 U-238, less the catalyst of 40 U-235 and 5 U-238, ignoring the loss of 3 U-238.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.16] Catalysts and productivity

Post by Koub »

I don't know if the "catalyst" concept is really a feature of the game, of if it's just mimicked by having part of the output products identical to input ptoducts. Anyway :
Kovarex enrichment produces an intermediate product with a "catalyst", and can't benefit from productivity module
Coal liquefaction produces an intermediate product with a "catalyst", and can benefit from productivity module

Should prod modules work on this kind of recipes, or should they not ?

I feel Kovarex enrichment was removed from the "productivity module list" for balancing reasons, so I'll move this to balancing.
[Koub] Moved to balancing
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Aprillion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Aprillion »

FTR recipes actually have "catalysts" property now - http://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/LuaR ... .catalysts

Only used for kovarex enrichment in 0.16.7 though, see console command:

Code: Select all

/c
local recipe = game.player.force.recipes['kovarex-enrichment-process']
for i, catalyst in ipairs(recipe.catalysts) do
  for k, v in pairs(catalyst) do
    if type(v) == "table" and v.help then
      v = '{name: ' .. v.name .. '} :: ' .. v.help():gsub('Help for ', ''):gsub(':.*', '')
    end
    game.print('catalyst' .. i .. ' ' .. k .. ': ' .. tostring(v))
  end
end

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I think that this needs to go out to modders a bit more - I don't think it was mentioned directly in change log and it's easy to lose there.
From what I understand to make catalyst not count you need to define it - I was convinved looking at release notes lines that it was fixed that it's automatic.

Adeon Hawkwood
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Adeon Hawkwood »

Koub wrote:Should prod modules work on this kind of recipes, or should they not ?
IMHO they should work but the catalyst should be deducted. The fact that Coal Liquefaction works with productivity modules and gets the catalyst as a bonus as well always struck me as a bit off.

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

Catalysts need to be more explicitly defined as an output that is excluded from bonus production and output stats.

A great example of a catalyst that does not fit the "exists in input and output" paradigm is Angel's filters. Bonus production should reward additional products without producing extra filters.

Return to “Balancing”