[0.16.1] Artillery shells stack size = 1

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16.1] Artillery shells stack size = 1

Post by bobingabout »

This basically tells me Shells should have at least a stack size of 5.

I get it, they're huge, but cannon shells are no small item either, why should they stack to 200?

My mod changed artillery shells to stack to 20, and increased the capacity of the turret to 50. but I agree that the artillery wagon can probably carry too many. it didn't stop me giving the MK2 and MK3 2 and 3 ammo slots respectfully though, a MK3 artillery wagon can carry 300 shells!
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

bobucles wrote:Funner fact: Cargo wagons can hold materials for 1000 shells if you build over a coal patch. 20(x200) stacks of cannon shells, 20(x50) stacks of radars, and explosives are produced entirely out of oil. Burn the coal to produce energy, liquify the coal to get oil, crack it into petrol for sulfur, and sprinkle some coal on top for explosives.

Some assembly required. :roll:
Not just oil - oil, coal, and water.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Not just oil - oil, coal, and water.
Water is pretty easy to find anywhere. If you're playing on a "water at spawn ONLY" map, you got memed. There's nothing worse than a no water world.

Coal provides EVERY step of the explosive chain. Don't forget that coal can ALSO produce oil! Remember that recipe you never use? Bring one drum of heavy oil and start cracking coal. Coal boilers also produce the steam required for liquefaction, making the entire explosives setup entirely dependent on a coal patch with SOME source of water.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

bobingabout wrote:This basically tells me Shells should have at least a stack size of 5.

I get it, they're huge, but cannon shells are no small item either, why should they stack to 200?

My mod changed artillery shells to stack to 20, and increased the capacity of the turret to 50. but I agree that the artillery wagon can probably carry too many. it didn't stop me giving the MK2 and MK3 2 and 3 ammo slots respectfully though, a MK3 artillery wagon can carry 300 shells!
All "heavy" ammo stacks way too high, I modded all rockets to a stack size of 10 along with more damage, explosives get more AoE, more expensive recipes, and a 5 second reload. They actually feel pretty good now, the tradeoff for their awesome effectiveness is extended vulnerability (until you drop some research in), expense, and inventory space, though their effect against Biters is mitigated.

I know the combat is a secondary aspect of the game but I think you should need to think of some preparations before embarking on a death spree, rather than just leaving a stack of ammo in a few guns.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

I agree that the stack size is ridiculous. Should be higher. But not too high.

Also ontop of that... Am I the only one thinking that Artillery shells are superfluous in the first place when we already have 4 different cannon shells around?

I would rather just use the 4 normal cannon shells and add a bonus damage effect to their damage output which is added by the fact it is fired by the artillery cannon turret/wagon.

Altogether the Artillery Turret should be available with Military Science Level 2 already before Laser Turrets if you ask me... which should be Military Science level 3... In my opinion it is easier to develop an artillery turret than a laser turret.

ggrnd0
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ggrnd0 »

The easiest way.
Make stack = 100

stack=1 is horrible to transport and store.

When you can produce lots of artillery shells stack=1 just require some more chests and wagons.
Nothing too hard or interesting. Just some more regular staff.

That does not matter at all...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I changed the stack size in my mod... I took the amount of damage in a stack of cannon shells, then divided that by the damage of an artillery shell, and the result number became the new stack size of the artillery shell. I think it was 20.

Then I had to go and change the max stack size of the artillery turret, which I think I set to 50.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

I think it's just a plausible-if-you-squint excuse for a different design puzzle. There's lots better ways to deal with it than just building way too many of wildly unusuitable containers, so find them.

Return to “Balancing”