Blue science is too hard to get

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.

Re: Blue science is too hard to get

Postby mrvn » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:30 pm

Zavian wrote:I think the real issue is that oil is a significant amount of work to setup (roughly as complicated as mining + smelting + red science, but needing new stuff a new player might not have played with before). (I can't recall whether oil was part of the tutorial campaign). For a new player it can be intimidating, a real 'what on earth am I supposed to do now' moment. Then after they cobble together their first refinery + plastic build, they might get stumped because light oil/heavy oil might back up and shut the refinery down.

Then after getting that working, you still need to build something as complicated as your initial mining/smelting/red + green science setup to actually produce steel + engines + red circuits. So setting up blue science is really around 2-3 times as much work to setup as red + green science combined. Introducing some new science pack between green science and blue science that needed say plastic or batteries or solid fuel (or any other starting refinery product) and something made from already introduced materials (iron, copper, stone, gears, wire, and green circuits) would probably smooth the difficulty curve. Alternatives include, restructuring things to move plastics + red circuits to science pack 4, or making blue science simpler by making it blue science require 1x fast inserter + 1x red circuit + 1x steel.

Once you get used to oil, then it isn't really any harder to setup than mining + smelting.

Maybe the player should build some laser turrets, some solar cells and some accumulators.
mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Postby JimBarracus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:27 am

I actually struggle more to make setup for yellow science. The need for raw materials is extreme since you need tons of copper, yellow science needs almost as much copper as the rest of the science packs.

Building a temporary oil refinery is not that difficult, you need to redesign it later anyway untill you have advanced oil processing.
I often converted heavy/light oil into solid and used petroleum to make some plastic, later I build a bigger setup that can handle quantities which are needed later for science production.
The refinery is actually one of the first things I get done in a scale suitable for endgame.
JimBarracus
Inserter
Inserter

Postby moxian » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:58 am

mrvn wrote:Maybe the player should build some laser turrets, some solar cells and some accumulators.

I'm not entirely sure what you were referring to - you should have explained that better.
But anyway, on my first few attempts, and the first complete playthrough (with rocket launch), I totally omitted all three of those - I had energy from steam engines fed by solid fuel, and defence via (manually reloaded) gun turrets with red ammo. So those are by no means required.
moxian
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Postby mrvn » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:24 am

moxian wrote:
mrvn wrote:Maybe the player should build some laser turrets, some solar cells and some accumulators.

I'm not entirely sure what you were referring to - you should have explained that better.
But anyway, on my first few attempts, and the first complete playthrough (with rocket launch), I totally omitted all three of those - I had energy from steam engines fed by solid fuel, and defence via (manually reloaded) gun turrets with red ammo. So those are by no means required.

To build laser turrets, solar cells (not so much but they trigger the need for accumulators) and accumulators you need to setup your oil refinery. Building blue science packs then needs little extra. Lessens the jump.
mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Postby bobucles » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:12 pm

The new blue recipe is a lot easier to work together than the old recipe. Before you had to master the entire oil tech tree in one gulp. Now you only need plastic, which is an easy step in oil.

I dunno if the engine recipe has to be assembler only. The high crafting time is its own deterrent that says "you want assemblers for this". I've definitely wanted to hand craft pumps or cars or trains at times, and it is upsetting that I have to run back to base to grab a pump. Blue potions can't be crafted from scratch because plastic is a petrol recipe.

When it comes to expensive mode, I found mass producing blue potions to be surprisingly difficult. Mining drills devour an order of magnitude more iron than red and green potions put together, their fast crafting speed devours belts dry, and they can't be boosted with Prod3. I think the blue potion costs even more iron per potion than purple or gold science so it was a surprising bottleneck in my designs.
bobucles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Postby Zavian » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:36 pm

If you find yourself needing to build a pump whilst away from your base you can always put down an assembler, and manually load it with enough gears/pipes/steel to make an engine or 2.
Zavian
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Postby Dreepa » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:00 pm

I agree.

Of all science packs, blue is always the one I am optimizing. It is because of the huge amount of green chips (->red chips) and the bottleneck through conveyors (putting 2 parallel works fine).

I find that while blue science is requiring too much, that some other items are required not enough. E.g. batteries.
Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Postby bobucles » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:15 pm

I wonder if the mining drill and assembler should have their places swapped in science? This change is only the tiniest buff for normal mode, as the assembler is a single iron plate cheaper than the electric drill. It makes ALL the difference in expensive mode, however. The cost of an expensive mining drill more than TRIPLES while the cost of assembling machine doesn't even double. I ironically find myself having an easier time supplying the purple potions in expensive mode than trying to feed the beast of expensive blue science.

I wouldn't say that assemblers or drills are really any more important in terms of what players should be automating first. But blue science definitely demands a lot of assembling machines (engines and red circuits are HUGE crafting sinks) and the factory really starts swelling up at that point thanks to blueprints and bots. Production science is where you discover "oh crap I need more resources" and need heaps of mining drills/furnaces to feed the whole monstrosity. I also think it's pretty thematic to use drills and furnaces for the same science pack.
bobucles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Postby mrvn » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:13 am

bobucles wrote:I wonder if the mining drill and assembler should have their places swapped in science? This change is only the tiniest buff for normal mode, as the assembler is a single iron plate cheaper than the electric drill. It makes ALL the difference in expensive mode, however. The cost of an expensive mining drill more than TRIPLES while the cost of assembling machine doesn't even double. I ironically find myself having an easier time supplying the purple potions in expensive mode than trying to feed the beast of expensive blue science.

I wouldn't say that assemblers or drills are really any more important in terms of what players should be automating first. But blue science definitely demands a lot of assembling machines (engines and red circuits are HUGE crafting sinks) and the factory really starts swelling up at that point thanks to blueprints and bots. Production science is where you discover "oh crap I need more resources" and need heaps of mining drills/furnaces to feed the whole monstrosity. I also think it's pretty thematic to use drills and furnaces for the same science pack.

But isn't that fitting that production science needs production?
mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Postby bobucles » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:28 pm

But isn't that fitting that production science needs production?

You can really argue it either way. Both drills and assemblers have pretty similar priorities and their recipes are nearly identical. Switching them doesn't change base layout at all nor the resources that players require (on normal).

The only difference happens with expensive recipes. Electric drills cause blue potions to skyrocket in cost, while assemblers would not. Hey, maybe that's part of the challenge. But it does mean that regular blue potions will feel very different in difficulty compared to expensive blue potions. The curve for the latter is much steeper because the cost for blue triples. Most other expensive science costs are roughly doubled. This creates a relative bump in difficulty that may be worth looking into.
bobucles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Postby PacifyerGrey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:54 pm

I think just making blue science recipe output x2 packs per cycle for the same cost (like all higher tier packs do) will definitely balance things out as it is. This change will also not cripple existing setups.
PacifyerGrey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Previous

Return to Balancing