Why do roboports even have repair pack slots?

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.

Re: Why do roboports even have repair pack slots?

Postby BlakeMW » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:23 am

bobingabout wrote:
Koub wrote:As far as I remember, they never did. But I might be mistaken.

Yup, I'm not sure if it was in 0.11 or 0.12 where they changed it so that mining 2 damaged entities would merge the two into a single healthier item.

AFAIK, Tools, Armor and Ammo have always used this behaviour.

Damaged things like turrets actually get put in their own "damaged items stack" so you have stacks of healthy items and stacks of damaged items. Within a damaged items stack the damage is averaged out (i.e. add a 25% hp item to a 75% hp item and you get two 50% hp items), you'll never get less items by combining stacks of damaged items. It is items with durability (rather than hitpoints) which have the merging behavior.
BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Postby bobingabout » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:17 am

BlakeMW wrote:
bobingabout wrote:
Koub wrote:As far as I remember, they never did. But I might be mistaken.

Yup, I'm not sure if it was in 0.11 or 0.12 where they changed it so that mining 2 damaged entities would merge the two into a single healthier item.

AFAIK, Tools, Armor and Ammo have always used this behaviour.

Damaged things like turrets actually get put in their own "damaged items stack" so you have stacks of healthy items and stacks of damaged items. Within a damaged items stack the damage is averaged out (i.e. add a 25% hp item to a 75% hp item and you get two 50% hp items), you'll never get less items by combining stacks of damaged items. It is items with durability (rather than hitpoints) which have the merging behavior.

Makes sense.

still, it's better than having an inventory of 50 damaged turrets, where each of the 50 take a slot each. (as it used to in the olden days)
bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Postby Deadly-Bagel » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:07 pm

BlakeMW wrote:Damaged things like turrets actually get put in their own "damaged items stack" so you have stacks of healthy items and stacks of damaged items. Within a damaged items stack the damage is averaged out (i.e. add a 25% hp item to a 75% hp item and you get two 50% hp items), you'll never get less items by combining stacks of damaged items. It is items with durability (rather than hitpoints) which have the merging behavior.

They used to but in 0.15 damaged turrets and walls now combine into a single stack. It was found to be extremely rare that having multiple stacks of damaged items was beneficial.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.
Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Previous

Return to Balancing