Cost for landfill not scaling properly with cursor size

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
makrom
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Cost for landfill not scaling properly with cursor size

Post by makrom »

To fill up a certain amount of water with land, it is currently the cheapest to use a filling size (+/-) of 1x1; using bigger sizes (2x2, 3x3, ...) will cost more for the same area.
Furthermore the total cost also depends on the order in which the area is filled. I think a solution where cost is proportional to the filled area would be preferable. Orif anything, bigger sizes should be cheaper (mass discount) if that is the intention.

Factory Lobster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Cost for landfill not scaling properly with cursor size

Post by Factory Lobster »

This is either a bug or you are incorrect. Every tile filled should use 1 landfill, whether it's 2, 4, etc at a time. It might just be confusing because of the game's mechanics with coastlines.

makrom
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by makrom »

Ok I'll do some proper tests later to either showcase the problem or withdraw my case.

makrom
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by makrom »

Ok I did some testing, I think the results are pretty conclusive.

I started with 80 landfills:

Now using a 1x1-cursor, I built a square, ended up with 72 landfills left (in another attempt, I ended up with 71 left, I probably built it in a different order):

And now I reloaded, increased the cursor to 3x3 and made a single click. I ended up with 71 landfills while building a smaller square:

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

did some testing as well as it piqued my curiosity, found that you can get 4 times the fill by going along a straight coast 2 out and every other tile, but it requires you do it a block at a time and any islands you get near with throw it off a bit.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

It's a side effect of how shores are treated as land. It's a bit tricky to fix. Though the cost when placed could be adjusted to include the shores/tiles that are automatically landfilled.

Return to “Balancing”