Stone costs aren't increased with Expensive Recipes

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Stone costs aren't increased with Expensive Recipes

Post by BlakeMW »

Playing a Deathworld game, have just researched Atomic Bomb, and noticed that I'm only about halfway through the starting area stone patches, while other resources are being extracted far and wide.

Most things have increased copper, iron, oil and coal costs. But here is the comprehensive list of things with increased stone costs:
  • Burner Mining Drill: 2 Stone Furnaces instead of 1
Long list that.

It would be consistent with other low-level components like iron gears, electronic circuits and pipes if stone bricks had their stone costs doubled. Maybe stone furnaces too since other basic items like inserters do have costs about doubled (due to gears and circuits). But anyway, just doubling the cost of stone bricks would also double the stone usage for concrete, advanced furnaces and production science packs. Whether there should be a quadrupling of cost as with electric mining drills is another matter but the stone brick change would be safe and conservative - and it still wouldn't put a dent in all the stone patches I've uncovered in the course of acquiring enough iron.

If it is desirable to maintain the balance of stone availability to paving the world with concrete, another point of doubling would be stone / stone brick consumption in furnaces.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Stone costs aren't increased with Expensive Recipes

Post by Optera »

Stone always was and pretty much still is a somewhat useless resource. With stone bricks for e-furnaces for science packs finally some form of drain was added. (Other than concreting the whole world)
E-Furnaces should take up more bricks or bricks more stone. Even both wouldn't matter considering how much little stone we actually need.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

Although in 0.15 stone is a bit less useless (maybe in a very large base you use a few express belts worth, while using dozens of copper and iron), I still actually turn it down in resource settings compared to the others (like very-low/normal/normal or such) so that there is eventually a use for a stone train.

So would definitely be good if it scaled up at least 2x across the board for expensive recipes.
Stone bricks already need multiple stone, so would think increasing both the brick cost and number of bricks would be good as well as things directly using stone (maybe so there is some chance of wanting multiple express belts of stone bricks).
  • I wouldn't make basic furnaces more expensive, personally I'm not even a fan of burner miners , etc. being more expensive since it just massively slows down the very start of the game. Once past the very start even at 4x cost they are still so cheap compared to the number you build it doesn't make any difference anymore.
  • Rails -Seems to me you should need a lot more ballast :)
  • Electric furnaces - Used for science, so bring it into line with the relative iron and copper increases.
  • Walls, pretty much every other building was made more expensive, but these were not.

Nasabot
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nasabot »

The whole "stone economy" is completly imbalanced. Increase stone requirement by x20, then we are about in the range where it makes sense.

My suggestions:

-Increase concrete cost, so it is in line with stone pavement: 10 Stone bricks + 4 Stone(="Sand") instead of 5 Stone bricks + 1 iron ore
-introduce a T2 Wall which costs 1 T1 Wall + additional concrete

This would improve the situation though still far away from what is necessary to be changed.

Return to “Balancing”