Are pumps supposed to be this fast?

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
TheVeteraNoob
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Are pumps supposed to be this fast?

Post by TheVeteraNoob »

Very well could just not be a bug. But 12000 fluid per second sounds awfully fast considering an offshore is only 1200/s. It unloads a tank in less than a second! When I saw it in the description I thought it was a typo. I want to know if this is a bug before I start hooking up 10 offshores to a chain of pumps for nuclear fun.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Are pumps supposed to be this fast?

Post by TruePikachu »

Given that some devs had quoted that pumping rate, I think it's intentional and not a typo.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

3 pumps are capable of emptying a fluid wagon in under 4 seconds, so that rate is likely to be accurate but once you add even one piece of pipe between the pump and any destination, the fluid transfer speed drops drastically. So hooking 10 offshore pumps to 1 such pump won't do you any good, as the water will not flow fast enough to the input end of the pump. This insane flowrate is only really achieved when transferring between 2 high capacity fluid stores, such as a wagon and a storage tank.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Moved to Balancing.

TheVeteraNoob
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheVeteraNoob »

Aeternus wrote:3 pumps are capable of emptying a fluid wagon in under 4 seconds, so that rate is likely to be accurate but once you add even one piece of pipe between the pump and any destination, the fluid transfer speed drops drastically. So hooking 10 offshore pumps to 1 such pump won't do you any good, as the water will not flow fast enough to the input end of the pump. This insane flowrate is only really achieved when transferring between 2 high capacity fluid stores, such as a wagon and a storage tank.
12000 fluid per second makes it worth chaining pumps wherever they need to go. A fully comprressed blue belt of water barrels brings only 10000 fluid per second which requires a line back. Man... Those engines the factorio guy is using is no joke.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

A belt is capable of turns and underground sections. A continuous chain of pumps would not be (though you could use a storage tank for turns), and would require 30kw of power for every 2 tiles. Steep cost in terms of power and space, but possible.

Return to “Balancing”