Make maximum productivity 50% rather than 40%

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Ingolifs
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Make maximum productivity 50% rather than 40%

Post by Ingolifs »

I'm suggesting altering productivity so that the maximum productivity of a mark 3 assembler is +50%, either by giving an additional module slot to the assembler, or by making productivity 3 modules give +12.5% productivity.

I must admit a selfish reason for this suggestion. It's not that I think productivity modules are underpowered (If anything they're the opposite, although it takes some really good infrastructure to use them properly), but it's because multiplying and dividing by 1.5 is much cleaner from a numbers perspective than multiplying and dividing by 1.4.
One intuitively knows that with a 50% productivity bonus means you're getting a third of the production for free. How much is it for a 40% bonus? I have to use a calculator to find out ( it's 2/7ths, which comes to 28% for free).

I don't know about you guys, but I generally don't run a build through excel before constructing it in factorio. Making the maths involved a little bit 'cleaner' may improve the game for other, more casual players.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Make maximum productivity 50% rather than 40%

Post by Frightning »

Ingolifs wrote:I'm suggesting altering productivity so that the maximum productivity of a mark 3 assembler is +50%, either by giving an additional module slot to the assembler, or by making productivity 3 modules give +12.5% productivity.

I must admit a selfish reason for this suggestion. It's not that I think productivity modules are underpowered (If anything they're the opposite, although it takes some really good infrastructure to use them properly), but it's because multiplying and dividing by 1.5 is much cleaner from a numbers perspective than multiplying and dividing by 1.4.
One intuitively knows that with a 50% productivity bonus means you're getting a third of the production for free. How much is it for a 40% bonus? I have to use a calculator to find out ( it's 2/7ths, which comes to 28% for free).

I don't know about you guys, but I generally don't run a build through excel before constructing it in factorio. Making the maths involved a little bit 'cleaner' may improve the game for other, more casual players.
Prod modules make the math interesting (and harder), but you honestly don't need to math things out if you know what to look for to diagnose shortages and even doing just 'back of a napkin' estimating is often enough to get things in the ballpark from the get go.

Return to “Balancing”