I have always too much uranium

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

I have always too much uranium

Post by mophydeen »

My bases have too much uranium. After processing I end up with chest filled with fuel, then chests filled with light green, then chests filled with dark green.

possible solution: make fuel more expensive(not the iron part). X10 or X100

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: I have always too much uranium

Post by BenSeidel »

Make some nukes?

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I'd like to see things like the Fusion Reactor replaced with a Personal Reactor made from like 50 U-235 or something.

But then once you get Kovarex going balance between U-235 and U-238 is out the window, a single Centrifuge without modules can provide U-235 for 30 reactors. Perhaps it would be better to see it available a little earlier but take a lot longer. Maybe double the rate of U-235 from ore but make the Kovarex process take 400 seconds or something?
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:I'd like to see things like the Fusion Reactor replaced with a Personal Reactor made from like 50 U-235 or something.
Actually that would be quite interesting... replacing the Fusion Reactor with a Personal Nuclear Reactor that is also running on Nuclear Fuel Cells...

That means you'd always have to carry a stack of Fuel Cells with you, which can be automated with Character Logistic Slots ... and the Empty Fuel Cells would then be dumped with the Trash slots.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Eh. Nuclear power is efficiently generating heat from a relatively small amount of Uranium. I would prefer the Personal Nuclear Reactor behave the same as the Fusion Reactor, by using a lot of Uranium at a very low efficiency but for an indefinite trickle of power. A Nuclear Reactor uses 1/10th of a unit of U-235 to provide 48MW (standalone) for 200 seconds, therefore 1 U-235 = 96GJ. If a Portable Nuclear Reactor used 100 U-235 (9.6TJ) to provide 1MW that's 2,667 hours of power. Realistically speaking you would never reach that.

It could be complex to craft, at the very least I think 50 U-235, 50 Copper (wire?), 1 Concrete, 5 Steel and maybe 20 Processing Units. Not sure what else you could use in the base game in the form of radiation shielding - water? Though that would mean you couldn't hand craft it. Ideally it would have a bunch of intermediate steps like Radiation Shielding and further refining the Uranium but gameplay-wise this wouldn't really add anything.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

1) personal nuclear reactor that costs a lot but does not needs a refill. size 4 x 4
2) personal fusion reactor that costs alot more than today, no refill, size 2x2

fusion is supposed to be our future. In Factorio is should also* be superior(smaller, more output).

refilling personal reactor feels strange. just make the recipe cost 100 nuclear fuel.
You could let it degrade like the armor and when out of power. craft a new one ....

leeknivek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by leeknivek »

nuclear fusion does not use uranium. reactors that burn uranium are fission reactors, they are splitting unstable uranium-235 atoms (as opposed to stable uranium atoms - U-238). massive amounts of heat are given off when this happens, that heat is used to turn water in to steam which is used to turn a turbine which then spins an electric motor and creates electricity. those big white towers you see at power plants are cooling towers, they let the "cold", "spent" steam escape into the atmosphere. same as the exhaust on a steam locomotive.

in a very basic description, fusion uses an isotope of hydrogen to bond with hydrogen to fuse together to create helium. this is only possible under enormous heat (about 1,000,000 degrees) and enormous pressure (hundreds of lasers focused into one point from every single 360 degrees x 360 degrees x 360 degrees)

the sun gives off heat and light energy through fusion, to the tune of 3.86 x 10^26 watts, or roughly 3,860,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 watts.

fission is about 1-million times the energy density of fossil fuels.
fusion is about 1-million times the energy density of fission.

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

leeknivek wrote:nuclear fusion does not use uranium. reactors that burn uranium are fission reactors, they are splitting unstable uranium-235 atoms (as opposed to stable uranium atoms - U-238). massive amounts of heat are given off when this happens, that heat is used to turn water in to steam which is used to turn a turbine which then spins an electric motor and creates electricity. those big white towers you see at power plants are cooling towers, they let the "cold", "spent" steam escape into the atmosphere. same as the exhaust on a steam locomotive.

in a very basic description, fusion uses an isotope of hydrogen to bond with hydrogen to fuse together to create helium. this is only possible under enormous heat (about 1,000,000 degrees) and enormous pressure (hundreds of lasers focused into one point from every single 360 degrees x 360 degrees x 360 degrees)

the sun gives off heat and light energy through fusion, to the tune of 3.86 x 10^26 watts, or roughly 3,860,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 watts.

fission is about 1-million times the energy density of fossil fuels.
fusion is about 1-million times the energy density of fission.
I know

like I said new portable nuclear reactor and a more expensive portable fusion reactor(which is in the game) with improved stats.

SeaRyanC
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SeaRyanC »

It's impossible to have too much uranium because it's impossible to have too many nukes.

Even if you kill all the biters you can find, you can still use them for nuclear deforestation.

You can never have too many nukes.

Return to “Balancing”