Achievements for free?

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Leris
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Achievements for free?

Post by Leris »

Hi all!

I am relatively new still, only just finished my first rocket, yay. During now, I am hunting for achievements.

As I play rather seldom, I also go to multiplayer sessions some times and take a look at their big factories. It is really impressing how big they will get with just a bit of teamwork, much bigger than my single-player factory anyway.

Here is the problem:

When I joined one multiplayer server and without even doing anything yet, I received 10 or 15 achievements for free! Because their factory was so big, it surpassed many production thresholds, etc.

Now when I return to my single-player factory, I feel somehow robbed. I can't ever achieve these feats by myself.

This even led to me not wanting to join multiplayer anymore, because I could "earn" even more achievements this way.

Only achievements left for me currently seem absurdly hard (spoon, etc), and all the realistic ones are already marked as "achieved".

I would suggest either limiting (some ?) achievements to single-player only. This has a draw-back because people also want to achieve things together with friends, so maybe have multiplayer-achievements seperately as well?

Alternatively, how about a way to "toggle off" a certain achievement manually? So you can start gathering it again from zero. That would be the quick-and-dirty solution to my problem. Of course Steam would still show, I achieved all those earlier.

Not sure if this is a good enough solution, but wanted to share the problem. Thanks for adding Achievements though, always a pleasure to hunt! :)

blueblue
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Achievements for free?

Post by blueblue »

I agree that this is a problem. One way to solve this would be to distinguish between sp games, private mp games (lan or w/ password) and public mp games. One could then make different achievements for these categories.

I can suggest two temporary fixes for you. You can unlock all the achievements anew if you are playing with a mod. So add a meaningless mod like the piano player and play your singleplayer save. Just dont forget to remove it before you go into multiplayer. The other way would be to take a look at the achievements.dat file (win7: user/username/appdata/roaming/factorio/achiements.dat). I havent tried editing it yet, it might be hashed or something, but maybe if you rename it you can unlock the achievements again and get the achievement tracking again.
unique_2 on discord and mod portal

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I think an option in the settings would be ideal, by default achievements are disabled in multiplayer but you can enable them. Wube have suggested requiring you be active on a server for a period of time before achievements become available which would also work, maybe at least 1/2 server uptime capped at 4 hours or something.

You can delete the Achievements.dat file and it will reset them UNLESS you play through Steam which will re-complete them. You can play the standalone (even if you bought through Steam) with this method, or as above you can install a mod which will migrate you to "modded achievements" which are treated separately to vanilla achievements (and will not complete them on Steam).
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Perhaps the game could keep production stats per-player? Every production entity's got a last-user tag anyway.

RamsesIV.
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RamsesIV. »

I stopped trying to hunt for achievements. In 0.14 i had almost all of them and the game crashed once and all was lost for some reason. There is a file called achievements I think and if you delete it, you will reset them :)

Return to “Balancing”