laser turret internal battery

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
ichVII
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

laser turret internal battery

Post by ichVII »

I know there has been the Suggestion to let laser turrets have an internal battery before.

The new part about my Suggestion is that the Charge rate of the internal buffer should be significantly lower then the power consumed by Shooting. Hence if a laser turret gets attacked, it shoots fast without draining much power from the Network at first, but slows down if the internal buffer is empty. This would as well be a way to make laser turret creeps harder becouse they start with an empty internal puffer. I know that turret creeps are already going to be dbuffed by a warm up time, but i like this idea as well.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: laser turret internal battery

Post by ssilk »

Moved to balancing cause this is to make the game harder.

Laser turrets can be modded really easily: You need to define just an new entity or change the existing.

For example I think you can use a mod like this https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Yehn/LR_Turret and change the numbers...

I personally think this is not needed, cause the same effect can be achieved by adding more enemies.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

ichVII wrote:I know there has been the Suggestion to let laser turrets have an internal battery before.

The new part about my Suggestion is that the Charge rate of the internal buffer should be significantly lower then the power consumed by Shooting. Hence if a laser turret gets attacked, it shoots fast without draining much power from the Network at first, but slows down if the internal buffer is empty. This would as well be a way to make laser turret creeps harder becouse they start with an empty internal puffer. I know that turret creeps are already going to be dbuffed by a warm up time, but i like this idea as well.
I think this is an excellent idea.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Yeah but it comes down to energy per biter, say you have a stream of 5 biters per second that take 2 hits each to kill, at 800kJ per shot you're consuming 8mW. If you limit charging to 2mW you need 4 towers to hold them off indefinitely, for 1mW you would need 8 towers.

Sure it makes the strategy a bit more tedious but let's be honest, it's already tedious. As I've always said, the best way to discourage tower creeping is to fix the problems that drive people to it in the first place.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Return to “Balancing”